Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RSU exercised and sold. No W-2 as taxpayer is no longer in the US. Estimates paid

DTNY07
Level 7

This is the 1st time I have come across this.  Tried searching the IRS website and either I am an idiot or am just confused  (or both).  Client moved back to Australia during 2018.  She is not a US Citizen.  she needs to file in the US as she exercised and then sold some RSU from her last US job  (she does still work for the same company, but in Australia).  She had told me about this in 2018, so I did file Form 8833 - Treaty-Based Return Position Disclosure and Form 8854 Initial and Annual Expatriation Statement.   I will be filing them this year as well as she does still need it as the Annual Expatriation statement.  Whereas last year was the Initial year.

Normally, taxes are withheld and included on someone's W-2 for RSU.  The company did withhold taxes and send them in as estimated payments.  For the life of me, I can't think of where to report this income on Form 1040.  The stock sales, that I know I would report the normal way.  but the exercise of the RSU, as I said, it is normally included as part of the W-2.  No W-2 issued in this case

She wasn't in the US at all during 2019.  Moved back to Australia in October 2018.  Thanks in advance for any help

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

10 Comments 10
rbynaker
Level 13

Seems like an odd situation.  I'll page our resident expert @itonewbie 

The RSUs I've seen aren't exercised, they just vest.

DTNY07
Level 7

Thanks for tagging the person.  If you're saying it is odd, then I don't feel as clueless as I did.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

Are you sure these were not already fully vested and also already taxed? It seems strange to give rights not vested to someone also no longer an employee.

I see this article:

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/tax/09/restricted-stock-tax.asp

And this one:

https://www.taxact.com/support/1035/2019/restricted-stock-units-rsus-and-backup-withholding

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

She is still an employee according to OP. Just not one in the US so no W-2.

Ex-AllStar
sjrcpa
Level 15

I'd report it as wages, with no W-2. If Jensen says different then listen to him.

Ex-AllStar
DTNY07
Level 7

Moved back home to Australia.  Works for the same company that she did for in the US. 

0 Cheers
DTNY07
Level 7

That thought crossed my mind.  But, I wasn't sure if it made sense.  Thanks for the info

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Does she still have a US resident visa (green card) ?

DTNY07
Level 7

No, she gave it back when she left in October 2018. I recorded that on Form 8854 on the 2018 return

0 Cheers
DTNY07
Level 7

This year same situation with the stock.  But they issued her a W-2.  Weird, but easier for me this time around