Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retired clienT RENTAL PROPERTY

rose323
Level 5

My client only receives rental property income for 8700 and social security, with mortgage interest does he still need to file the system is giving me a message that I can not electronically file the return. Does he still need to file a return? 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

Put in $1 interest income.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

9 Comments 9
IRonMaN
Level 15

If the gross rental income is $8700, then there isn't a need to file.  If the $8700 is the net income, maybe.  If the gross rents received is over $13,850 then you need to file.

Slava Ukraini!
qbteachmt
Level 15

With mortgage interest on a rental, and a rental means depreciation and other operating costs, why would you not file?

Not being able to e-file isn't the Tax regulation for reporting. There is something going on that means it doesn't qualify to e-file, such as required forms or info, or something about the taxpayer's situation you haven't described.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
rose323
Level 5

He also has social security income for himself and his wife for 16,182. The system is giving me an error code stating that all of the following lines on form 1040 have zeros, which is the reason I can not electronically file.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Put in $1 interest income.

Ex-AllStar
rose323
Level 5

Awesome Thank you! it worked 

sjrcpa
Level 15

You're welcome.

Ex-AllStar
BobKamman
Level 15

Any idea of why that works?  I'm intrigued by the question of where to draw the line between common sense and ethics.  Would it be OK to add $100 of imaginary income, to satisfy IRS computers?  What if people have to show their returns to state agencies to collect some sort of benefit, and it's turned out because it looks like they are hiding assets?

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

I think the IRS specs prohibit efiling "zero" returns. I have been known to label that interest income as 

"entry needed to efile"

Sometimes I might put it in as Misc Income.

Ex-AllStar
BobKamman
Level 15

But it's not a zero return, right?  Do they do that with every return below the filing requirement, or just those with rental?  I would probably do the same thing if I weren't such a fan of paper returns.  

0 Cheers