Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proseries 2020 Billing

barrysafeer
Level 3

2020 Proseries Professional version billing came out today.  5.2% increase over 2019!!  Every year for the last 3 years that I have had this level, they have increased the bill by 5.2% each year.  Does Proseries have any idea what the inflation rate?  Cost of living increases?  They are no where close to 5%!!!  And this year with all of the Covid-19 problems, you would think they would give us a break.

I tried to call them last year and complain and I couldn't get anyone here in the USA on the phone.  Everyone was overseas and they didn't understand what cost of living meant to tell them that the annual increase is ridiculous.  

Any one have any suggestions on someone in the USA to call?  I would rather not switch to another program but this is getting way too expensive vs other software.

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

43 Comments 43
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Yep, looks like somewhere around 5% for me too.   

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
IRonMaN
Level 15

So the actual inflation rate is closer to 2%.  If they raised it 2% you wouldn't complain?  Are you also complaining to your local stores about the cost of toilet paper?  Did you switch brands because the old brand was getting too expensive? 

Everybody would love prices to stay the same forever.  I recently bought a new F150 and I would love to have paid the same price that I did for the first new F150 I bought back in 1981.  Unfortunately price increases are a part of life in our wonderful world.  Your choices are to either shop for a better software elsewhere or grin and bear it.  If you do go elsewhere, make sure that new company will guarantee you in writing that they will never raise their prices in excess of the current US inflation rate.

Slava Ukraini!
barrysafeer
Level 3

Ironman - I didn't complain about the price increase in general.  I complained about the increase rate.  2% would be more reasonable.  Can you arrange that for me please?

IRonMaN
Level 15

I can get you down to 2% ----------- just don't tell Lisa that hers is going to 8% 😬

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Hey!   LOL  I already decided I was doing a 10% price bump across the board for all clients for 2020 returns...I can afford an extra couple hundred bucks on software.

AshleyatIntuit
Employee
Employee

To avoid any confusion this is a peer to peer support forum so other posters are users just like you. They will not be able to assist with your renewal inquiry.

IRonMaN
Level 15

Come on @AshleyatIntuit   , I'm working here.  I at least made one Intuit customer happy.  Check in with customer service to see how many of your representatives can say that today.  But you are going to have to help me out a little to make sure that I can deliver on that 2% increase. 😅  

You might have to come up with an extra hoody or two though to make Lisa happy with her increase.

Slava Ukraini!
TNT1
Level 3

I've had ProSeries since 2004. My software charges have doubled in that time. The advertised cost i would be happy with, but when they add the fast path service license fee... I have a hard time with that.

barrysafeer
Level 3

You are correct.  The Fast Path charge is another way of adding cost.  It's bullsh@#

Tax Man Bert
Level 2

I have been using the ProSeries Basic product nearly 2 decades. I know we have year over year increases but even when we have been through periods of recession, the prices keep going up. I operate a small tax practice and have always tried to serve a group using a great software but trying to minimize costs. And is many cases, I can't afford to compete with fees being charge by other groups for tax returns. I represent a lot of seniors, lower to moderate incomes folk who need an alternative to higher prep fees. The choice comes down for some to losing clients or decreasing profit. Going back to only 2013, year over year cost of the software from 2013 increased, starting in 2014, 10%, 3%, 5%, 5%, 5%, 17%, and again 5% for upcoming 2020. The price of the product is up 62% compared to the 2013 base year I am comparing to. It is almost comparing to a similar statement about the F-150. . . having to pay $35,000 to $55,000 for a truck on a $20,000 salary. That is not affordable and the cost of ProSeries quickly approaching a point that I will have to potentially consider having to find a new software provider. I know they will probably increase as well but maybe not as much per year . . . and when  they reach the price I am paying today I'll be quite old and will probably be fully retired. I have had many preparers tell me they could no longer afford ProSeries and had to change. I don't really want to change, it just seems that Intuit may be a little out of touch with some of its users and the impact of the external influences on the economy.  

barrysafeer
Level 3

Thank you for your feedback.  It is really too bad Proseries doesn't care about our pricing feedback.

toddfishercpa
Level 2

5.2% increase every year, they must think that we are idiots.  If the program were any better than previous year versions that would be a different story.  But unfortunately, I don't find any of the Intuit products (including Quickbooks) better than prior year's versions.

mdtao31
Level 7

i am also increasing fees to cover software pricing

my clients would rather fight than switch

gpcpa
Level 2

I was just thinking about renewal and noticed about 20% price increase over 2019. Was wondering how many people have  encountered such a dramatic hike.

0 Cheers
barrysafeer
Level 3

That sounds way off.  You should compare side by side to be sure you are paying for the same level of software.

gpcpa
Level 2

I did. Called sales - they said for the past years they were automatically giving one-time discount. this year they're not giving out any discount - hence the price increase. absurd increase in a COVID year.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

They tend to give new customers a great deal, then jack up the price to normal the following years.  Its generally 5% per year price increase, but if you had a 15% discount for being a new customer last year, a 20% bump sounds right.

gpcpa
Level 2

I've been with ProSeries for 20 years now - so i'm one of the old ones. I do understand small increases, but 20% is outrageous. Looks like i've been with ProSeries longer than necessary, since client loyalty is not appreciated @ Intuit.

0 Cheers
TNT1
Level 3

Has anyone found an alternative package compared to Proseries Basic? I've looked at several but haven't found anything I like as much.

0 Cheers
gpcpa
Level 2

At this price point there are way better and more comprehensive tax packages.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

"At this price point there are way better and more comprehensive tax packages."

Which packages would those be?

Slava Ukraini!
gpcpa
Level 2

Over the summer I've experimented with UltraTax CS. Much more robust tax soft.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
The price tag on Ultra Tax is less than ProSeries?

gpcpa
Level 2

Now that i'm at 7k+tax - Ultratax is within several hundred dollars.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

As a new user, and then Ultra Tax jacks up the price ...................... just like ProSeries.

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I thought I remembered hearing that UT also contracts you for 3 years, so you cant software jump after the discounted year.

gpcpa
Level 2

It's a 5 yr contracted price freeze. Who knows what's going to happen in the next few years .

I'm surprised that only very few people bring up the issue(s) of ridiculous price increases.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
well if you can get locked in at a lower price, go for it!

gpcpa
Level 2

True. But for almost the same amount i can get a more comprehensive package - more tax forms , better tech support and more comprehensive diagnostics.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

............ and a big learning curve --------- but go for it if you think you found Nirvana.  

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
mdtao31
Level 7

i just raise my fees,most people would rather fight than

switch

gpcpa
Level 2

Most of my clients are hurting this year, so raising fees is not an option for 2020 filing season.

0 Cheers
barrysafeer
Level 3

I told proseries it's not right to raise their rates so much this year given pandemic.  they obviously didn't care.

L0ngtaithien
Level 3

Intuit did exactly the same thing to me. Gave me small discount last year and then jacked up the price much higher this year. 

gpcpa
Level 2

totally not cool to do it in a COVID year. did you talk to sales about it?

0 Cheers
L0ngtaithien
Level 3

I did. Spoke with many of their foreigner representatives. But no helps.

0 Cheers
gpcpa
Level 2

I dont know about you - but i'm definitely jumping ship to a new software company.

0 Cheers
TNT1
Level 3

What software will you be using when leaving Proseries? I believe there are others who would like to know your choice.

barrysafeer
Level 3

Yes!!  Please us all know what you choose.  I have contemplated switching but then I think about what a pain it was to switch to PreSeries years ago.

0 Cheers
barrysafeer
Level 3

I could only talk to foreign reps.  And I was told a number of times that I would get a call back from a supervisor and that never happened.

0 Cheers
gpcpa
Level 2

Most likely - UltraTax. It's few $$ more expensive but much more robust.

0 Cheers
gpcpa
Level 2

It's like pulling off a band-aid - only hurts for a while:)

every year i encounter issues with forms that ProSeries do not support, and an incompetent tech support

0 Cheers
gpcpa
Level 2

That's right. They try to sign-up new customers with heavy spending on advertising instead of improving the software and support.

0 Cheers