Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Non-Cash Donations

KMACK
Level 4

I have a client who made approximately 50 non-cash donations in 2019 all to the same organization.  These donations range in value from $25 to about $200 with the majority being closer to $25.  Does the IRS allow for summarizing in a situation like this or do they all have to be entered separately and generate multiple 8283 forms?

Thank you.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dascpa
Level 11

I remember a CPE class where the instructor cited a court case (actually multiple) where the IRS denied the tax deduction(s) because each line of the 8283 was not completed for each individual contribution.  Cannot give you citation without research.  Bottom line, you can combine but you run a risk.  Make it an instructional item for taxpayers for the future to not drop off charity weekly  For this year "copy and paste".  Also, in old days we could not efile if more than 5 forms 8283 but that is gone now.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

The 8283 is a statement you send with the the $500 filing fee for donations over $10,000 to a charitable organization, so I'm not sure where that comes into the picture? 

An individual's non-cash charity contributions are reported on Schedule A and if they are all to the same charity, you could enter the total, I would think. Make sure the client has all their receipts with the details, in case the IRS questions the deductions. Verify how the value was determined and who made it. A person can believe something has a value in their mind but the actual value, especially in non-cash contributions, can be lower. Also make sure they are not receiving any thing in return for the contribution, which will off-set the value, and have that in writing from the recipient.

0 Cheers
dascpa
Level 11

I remember a CPE class where the instructor cited a court case (actually multiple) where the IRS denied the tax deduction(s) because each line of the 8283 was not completed for each individual contribution.  Cannot give you citation without research.  Bottom line, you can combine but you run a risk.  Make it an instructional item for taxpayers for the future to not drop off charity weekly  For this year "copy and paste".  Also, in old days we could not efile if more than 5 forms 8283 but that is gone now.

0 Cheers