Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MFS

taxes---taxes
Level 3

Client wants to file MFS but spouse is not yet ready. Will the IRS still accept client's return pending spouse's own MFS return? 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Turtle43
Level 3

I did a tax returns with TSJ indicator and in ProSeries MFS Vs MFJ Worksheet. I showed the TP (wife) who who showed Spouse (husband) and they will save $400 if they file MFJ. So yeah, MFJ saves a little tax.  However, the husband turned around and got his MFS filed with another tax preparer.  I had not met him. His preparer helped him filed MFS, not allocating  their combined community income!  Separate issue. 

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
RollTide68
Level 8

yes

Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

Yes but bad decision. 99% of time MFJ creates less tax

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
Turtle43
Level 3

I did a tax returns with TSJ indicator and in ProSeries MFS Vs MFJ Worksheet. I showed the TP (wife) who who showed Spouse (husband) and they will save $400 if they file MFJ. So yeah, MFJ saves a little tax.  However, the husband turned around and got his MFS filed with another tax preparer.  I had not met him. His preparer helped him filed MFS, not allocating  their combined community income!  Separate issue.