Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I split a MFJ return to MFS in ProSeries Basic?

ak70
Level 2

How do I split a MFJ return to MFS in ProSeries Basic?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

5 Comments 5
alphy
Level 3

First, make sure all income is properly allocated between spouses. Then do a "Save As" , create new file under a different file name, and swap names and personal info on the federal worksheet, and reallocate income. Then simply choosing MFS as the filing status should include only taxpayer income on each return. You may need to do further tweaking--when I tried this, ProSeries gave errors on the W-2's that were assigned to the spouse, and I needed to remove them. I know this is kind of a clunky way to do it, but I don't know of a better way unless someone else does. Would be nice if you could do it with only one file.

0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Don't know about basic, but in Pro, when you have the joint return open go to file, then scroll down to "split mfj return" the program will make two mfs returns for you, and also keep the mfj return. You then have to go into each mfs return and complete and fix errors.

0 Cheers
skeramidas
Level 4

Basic does not offer that feature. Do 3 files, Taxpayer, Spouse, Joint--alot of work, but that's how I have had to do it.

0 Cheers
SKC2021
Level 3

I have a married couple, with a dependent. The wife and dependent child moved to WV and was a resident for 11 months and the other spouse lives in VA as a resident. I am filing a joint Federal return. I did save as on that file and created a married filing separately file for each with each ones own tax information. For the wife that live in VA for 27 days, I also filed a part year resident of VA.I have Proseries basic. Is this correct?

0 Cheers
SKC2021
Level 3

Do you know when filing the MFJ return and state of WV MFS and state VA MFS if efiling is allowed for the states? Do states require a copy of the federal return?

0 Cheers