Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can not have to enter each stock sale item when there is wash sales and the 1099-B has 25 pages of data?

CHASR
Level 1

Do I have to enter each sale if wash sales are shown on the 1099-B or can I enter the totals of all the sales?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

You can enter totals - St covered, LT covered, ST noncovered, LT noncovered,'ST not on 1099-B and LT not on 1099-B,. Then attach the 25 pages of detail as a pdf (you're not required to attach detailes for the covered transactions unless they are wash sales).

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
sjrcpa
Level 15

You can enter totals - St covered, LT covered, ST noncovered, LT noncovered,'ST not on 1099-B and LT not on 1099-B,. Then attach the 25 pages of detail as a pdf (you're not required to attach detailes for the covered transactions unless they are wash sales).

Ex-AllStar
kpscpa
Level 1
When entering summary what sale date should you enter
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13
Leave the dates blank and force LT/ST.
0 Cheers
Mjoseph
Level 1

Can someone clarify? If all of the stock sales are short term and reported to the IRS but there are a few wash sales, you can still combine all of the short term - covered sales but you have to attach the statement because of the wash. Is that correct? Also would you have to manually adjust the gain/loss so that it does not include the wash sale losses?

0 Cheers
JWM
Level 3

Yes, how do you account for the wash sales? adjust cost and simply attach the 8949 / 1099-B?

0 Cheers
Jill1891
Level 3

That used to work - on Proseries 2020, the worksheets have changed. I don't see a place to enter short term non-covered, only long term covered and short term covered. The 1099-B worksheet only has box A and box D, I need box B. If I try to enter on screen below it requires a date sold.

0 Cheers