Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello, I hope someone can help. I have a client and she sold a property and they collected FIRPTA withholding. How do I report this on her taxes? 8288 was filed!

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

3 Comments 3
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Whats FIRPTA ?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

Try line 18a of the Tax Payments Worksheet or just show it as an estimated payment

(Foreign Investment in Real Property Tax Act)

In NJ there's a bulk sales tax requirement for income properties at time of closing. I generally enter it as an estimated payment.

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
itonewbie
Level 15

You would report the sale on your client's return as US-ECI.

Your client will claim a credit for the taxes withheld on the return but must attach a copy of the F.8288-A showing the taxes withheld.  Assuming the buyer/agent followed the proper procedures, the F.8288, F.8288-A, along with the withholding should have been transmitted to the IRS within 20 days of the sale and the IRS would then have sent your client the stamped Copy B of F.8288-A, which your client must attach to the return.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar