Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Federal refunds have not been received.

Level 4

Hello!  I have two different clients whose returns were e-filed and accepted by IRS on 3/23/2020.  They both called me recently saying that neither had received their refunds.  Both have received their State Refunds from Colorado and Arizona.  They have also received their stimulus payments.  They were the only two returns that I had that were accepted on that date. I directed both of them to check out their refund status on IRS.gov and they both replied that IRS said they were still processing.

I am just checking to see if anyone else has had that particular problem and especially with an acceptance date of 3/23/2020.  If so how would I go about correcting the problem?  I think my clients may have to sit on hold for a couple of hours to speak with an agent but if there is any other method of reaching out to IRS, please let me know!  Thanks! 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

I have one return Accepted on 3/25 that is still processing. No apparent reason, also received State refund.

I have had a few with IRS refunds, the website said they were being offset, and then the client received the refund.

I think it's just a mess in IRS land and until they get back to work accepting calls, there isn't really anything you or the client can do.

View solution in original post

11 Comments 11
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

They're either under review, or IRS cant match withholdings on the return with what the the employer reported, ID verification or they forgot to include the 1095A with their tax return.

In any of these situations, there's not much anyone can do until IRS reopens....they'll just have to wait for the IRS letter.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

I have one return Accepted on 3/25 that is still processing. No apparent reason, also received State refund.

I have had a few with IRS refunds, the website said they were being offset, and then the client received the refund.

I think it's just a mess in IRS land and until they get back to work accepting calls, there isn't really anything you or the client can do.

poolcleaner
Level 9

I had one that was filed and accepted on 03/17/2020. I checked on it last week and it showed it still in process.  The large refund was received yesterday.  There were no issues of any kind on the return.  Withholding was on a pension that had not changed in ten years.  The IRS employees have been furloughed for much of the last month and it is showing!

Level 4

Thanks!  I know it was not a 1095 A or the Withholding Amounts because I rechecked data entry.  There must be some holdup.  It has been enlightening to know that several others have had similar problems.  I guess it sounds like a wait and see proposition. 

0 Cheers
Olgatax1
Level 3

I have the same problem with two of my clients efiled on 03/20 and 03/29 still saying being processed no letter from the IRS and still waiting for the refund, frustrating.

0 Cheers
The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

Just a note on the withholding. I had 2 clients last year whose employers did not submit the W-3/W-2 reports to Social Security by 1/31/19 and both clients had to wait for verification of the withholding, by the IRS, until the employer finally submitted them to Social Security.

One was out of business and that client's refund was delayed till December and finally released once a letter was submitted to the IRS by the employer verifying the wages and withholding. 

Your data entry may be correct, but that does not mean the IRS accepts it at face value.

Level 4

Thanks!  That eased my mind a little!  I did check over to make sure that I hadn't made any data entry errors and neither of my clients received any additional forms post e-filing.   the 1095-A was not an issue with either of them, although I did have a prior client with that problem.   Because they received their state refunds,  I knew that the banking information was not a problem.  Hopefully they get a nice surprise in their accounts sometime in the near future!  

0 Cheers
Colmatt
Level 5

I have three around that date but all had additional stimulus due to them based on income changes.  Wondering if this is why they are held up.  Anyone else with this particular problem?

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

@Colmatt 

"I have three around that date"

Except everyone else and this topic, is from 2020.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
Colmatt
Level 5

HAHAHA....

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

🙂

I now realize just how much this year really is not that different than last year. Thanks.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers