Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Direct Debit Payments Dates after 4/15/20

MikeB_CPA
Level 5

I am getting error messages during my final reviews for clients who want their tax payments to be electronically debited after 4/15/20.  I have not yet efiled any of these returns.  Does anyone know if a debit date after 4/15/20, now allowed by IRS and many states, will result in a rejected efiled return?  Thanks.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

Did you catch the second choice I offered - file an extension?

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

16 Comments 16
IRonMaN
Level 15

That's odd, I was just thinking about that and wondering why nobody else has asked.  I would send a check or extend the return to free up the payment date.

Slava Ukraini!
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

Maybe, just maybe.... you could print a 1040-V , even give them a pre-printed envelope with the mailing address... and explain to the them that for the low low low price of 55 cents they don't have to pay their tax due until July 15th.  

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
MikeB_CPA
Level 5

Thanks folks.  I am well aware of the option to mail the payments, but I am trying to find out about electronic payments to be scheduled for after 4/15/20.

IRonMaN
Level 15

Did you catch the second choice I offered - file an extension?

Slava Ukraini!
MikeB_CPA
Level 5

I did and I appreciate it.  Thanks very much!

IRonMaN
Level 15

👍

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
oakhillsal
Level 3

I have a couple clients that don't want to write checks.  So, I'm waiting a while for PS to update the program to accommodate the efiling of dates beyond 4/15/20 - which the website says they are working on.  Surely, ("don't call me Shirley") they will have it done before July 15th...

MikeB_CPA
Level 5

Thank you. You obviously have more confidence in Intuit, and more specifically, IRS and other impacted states to get this done in time for July 15 ACH payments! Hope springs eternal. 

0 Cheers
carolynmescher
Level 1

I'm also trying to wait, but I do want to deliver the final returns to my clients with the e-file acknowledgement number on them now. I'm hoping the Proseries team will see the need with all our posts and get the update completed quickly. 

0 Cheers
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

You can still deliver the return with an E-file acknowledgement to them. Just deliver a 1040-V at the same time and tell them to mail it and a check on 7/15.  You would think that no one in America knows how to write a check and take it all the way to post office... and pay for a stamp.

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.

Some tax professionals take pride in providing a high level of customer service; you know, keeping things as hands-off for our clients as possible...so to maintain a high client retention rate year-over-year. I am certain that my firm's high % of repeat business and 5-Star Google rating is as much (or more) a result of excellent customer service as it is excellent knowledge of IRC. So, telling a client to "use a voucher" and "burn a postage stamp" just doesn't cut it (unless we have no other option).

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

5 star Google rating?  Holy crap, I've never been so impressed in my life.

As long as I'm here, what's Google?

Slava Ukraini!

You cannot set the payment date with an extension beyond 4/15/20; so why file an extension for 2019 when we already have an auto-extension to 7/15. I'm sure that you understand, most of us would like to complete all functions with a return so that we don't have to do so later - set and go, you know. Those of you who answer with derogatory comments  - why? If you can't be helpful, why bother answering?

0 Cheers

Hope life gets better for you; what an angry little person you are.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

How did you know I was only 4 feet tall?

Kinda funny how folks post that kind of crap after making a statement if that if you can't be helpful why answer at all.  Do as I say not as I do?

Slava Ukraini!
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

@DoorstepMobileTax  you forgot to mention how modest you are...……..