Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CBD oil as medical expense

tejohn02
Level 1

Can CBD oil be deducted as medical expense?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

5 Comments 5
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Was it by prescription?  OTC medications or supplements don't qualify.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
BobKamman
Level 15

You can include in medical expenses the cost of nutritional supplements, vitamins, herbal supplements, “natural medicines,” etc., if they are recommended by a medical practitioner as treatment for a specific medical condition diagnosed by a physician.

The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

Make sure you ask the client if they paid for it with an HSA or FSA plan before you take the deduction. Many clients do not realize they receive the tax benefit through the payroll deduction and can not take an additional medical deduction for the cost on the tax return.

If they have an HSA, the software will include the distribution amount from the 1099-SA on the Medical worksheet.

JeremyNJ
Level 3

If I recall correctly, CBD oil isn't an eligible FSA expense.  I only know that  because I remember being shocked when I was reading through eligible expenses and Christian Science prayer was eligible and listed right above, CBD oil was not.

The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

Thanks JeremyNJ. Good to know.

0 Cheers