Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAN EARNED INCOME CREDIT BE SUPRESSED?

ERIC J
Level 3

CALCULATING A $7 EIC.  I RATHER NOT TAKE IT AND DO THE CERTIFICATIONS FOR $7.  HOW TO SUPPRESS IT WITHOUT UGLY OVERRIDES?  THANKS!  ERIC 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

7 Comments 7
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

You could check the box on the federal info worksheet, that he is qualifying child for another taxpayer. But I would inform client why you are not claiming the EIC, and maybe discount fee by $7. I would also make note in file

IRonMaN
Level 15

I would round up that discount to $10 😁

Slava Ukraini!
itonewbie
Level 15

But if you've done your due d, which you should with all of the returns you prepare regardless of whether certification is required, what's the harm in claiming the EIC.

And if you don't feel that certain information your client provided is up to snuff, shouldn't the focus be on documentation?

Lastly, if you feel that your client may not be honest altogether, it may be time to disengage.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
ERIC J
Level 3

EIC just by its nature has been rumored to increase odds of IRS audit.  For a $7 credit that is really my main motivation.  Thanks

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

An audit for a potential $7 change?  

Slava Ukraini!
itonewbie
Level 15

It's not a rumor.  The IRS is targeting returns that may be claiming fraudulent refunds.  For a $7 EIC, I highly doubt your client's return will be targeted for audit (although random audit could still be possible, just like anyone else's return).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
BobKamman
Level 15

Are you saying that thousands of tax preparers across the country don't "charge by the form"?  I thought the software even has a feature that will compute the fee that way.  So yes, definitely, charge the $25 for completing the Form 8867, then discount it by $7 when you discard it.  

What do you do when a client has $4 of Section 199A dividends?