Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1099-R Rcvd as a distribution on a investment that was a total loss. Client did not get any money back.

dianejhart
Level 4
I have a client who rcvd a 1099-R for $115k as an early distribution. His entire account was lost on a bad investment through the company that held is 401k. His account is 0-he has no money left nor did he get the $115k  that is stated on the 1099-R.  Is it possible to deduct this? Thank you!
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George4Tacks
Level 15

Code K is a hint that you might just put taxable amount = zero. Make sure the client has clear evidence that the value truly was zero.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns

View solution in original post

17 Comments 17
qbteachmt
Level 15

Are you stating the 1099-R is fraudulent and can prove it?

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
dianejhart
Level 4

Yes, he did not get the money, the company lost his entire investment and then sent him a 1099-R as a distribution.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

And that $115K was his original investment amount?

Ex-AllStar
dianejhart
Level 4

Yes that was his full 401k amount and that full amount was invested in 1 company.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Are you asking to deduct it or are you asking to not include it as income?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
dianejhart
Level 4

What would be the correct procedure? I input the 1099-R-but he did not actually receive this money, how do I show that? It was a loss of his entire investment, not a distribution.

0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

I'm guessing we need Paul Harvey to sort this out for us.

If the "old" custodian was told to "invest/distribute" $115K to the "new/scammer" custodian, from "old custodian" perspective they made a distribution and issued a 1099-R.  I won't bet too much that this is what happened, but Phoebe's shiny nickel bet comes to mind.

George4Tacks
Level 15

Could this be a rollover? 

dianejhart
Level 4

I wouldnt think so, there is no money left.  But again Im not sure of the correct procedure in this case.

0 Cheers
Camp1040
Level 10

What is the code in box 7?

That is why @George4Tacks  is asking about a rollover.

George4Tacks
Level 15

I was thinking indirect rollover. Shyster A distributes $150K to shyster B and issues a 1099R. Shyster B loses all the money and never distributes a 1099R cuz it's all gone. 

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/help-for-victims-of-ponzi-investment-schemes

Was either shyster investigated by the SEC?  Do a google search for the individual and the SEC.

dianejhart
Level 4

Code is K, 1

0 Cheers
dianejhart
Level 4

would I choose rollover and when he gets a notice from the IRS explain it all?

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

Code K is a hint that you might just put taxable amount = zero. Make sure the client has clear evidence that the value truly was zero.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Is box 2a filled in or is it empty?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
dianejhart
Level 4

Yes, taxable amount not determined is checked off....

0 Cheers
dianejhart
Level 4

Thank you everyone!

0 Cheers