Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1099-Misc box 7 non employee compensation not being treated as SE income?

ERIC J
Level 3

Not being reported on Sch C.  Why isn't system calculating SE tax?  Do I need to tag it as subject to SE income somehow/where?  thanks!  eric j

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

If its not a trade or business, why would it be subject to SE?

With a 1099MISC and a figure in Box 7, IRS computers will be looking for Sch C, Id put it on there and then mark NO to the QBI question so that its not considered a trade or business.

Im not sure how to make the SE income and Sch SE flow anywhere without the Sch C, sorry.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
IRonMaN
Level 15

Please stick to one post.

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

wrote:
Re: 1099-Misc box 7 non employee compensation not being treated as SE income?

Not being reported on Sch C.  Why isn't system calculating SE tax?  Do I need to tag it as subject to SE income somehow/where?  thanks!  eric j

Box 7 should go to Sch C

ERIC J
Level 3

Because I can justify why the activity related to the SE income doesn't rise to the level of a trade or business.  There is no requirement that SE income must be reported on a Sch C.  I avoid including Sch C if possible.  thanks

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

If its not a trade or business, why would it be subject to SE?

With a 1099MISC and a figure in Box 7, IRS computers will be looking for Sch C, Id put it on there and then mark NO to the QBI question so that its not considered a trade or business.

Im not sure how to make the SE income and Sch SE flow anywhere without the Sch C, sorry.

ERIC J
Level 3

Thanks Lisa!  I agree that tagging it to the Sch C is the cleanest trail.  However, over the years I have reported 1099-Misc as Other Income and included Schedule SE rather than on Sch C without generating IRS CP 2000 notices.  I'm not aware of a REQUIREMENT that SE income gets reported on a Schedule C.   

0 Cheers