Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1098T

mcd1231
Level 4

Client received 1098T. Box 1 is $1,851 and Box 5 is $585.  The twist here is the tuition is paid by employer and the only time client has to pay is when the client fails to receive a passing grade.  So the amount in Box 5 is really the amount client paid to institution.  If I report the amount on 1098T as stated, client receives  $1,266 tuition and fees reduction from income.  Any help will be appreciated.  Thank you

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

And the IRS says Box 5 is Scholarships & Grants.

Clients are very often mistaken in their beliefs of what and how something was paid. Does the client have proof of payment or the Student Account statement from the college?

If the client's documentation confirms what they are telling you, then the 1098-T is wrong and must be corrected.

View solution in original post

14 Comments 14
The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

I'm not sure what you are asking: if the box 5 is what the employer paid and box 1 is the actual tuition paid by the employee, your client, then you would enter it as you would any other 1098-T.

Box 5 is for money paid by others, scholarships, grants, employers etc., your clients payments are in box 1

If your question is, should your client receive the credit because the grade received was not high enough for the employer to reimburse the tuition, the grade is irrelevant to the credit eligibility.

As long as the other requirements on the Student worksheet are met, the client should be eligible for an Education credit. There is no question about passing or failing for eligibility purposes and plenty of parents and individuals receive ED credits, even though the person dropped out after the 1st semester.

I guess you could say you can get the credit for trying, not succeeding, as long as all the other requirements are met and your client actually paid the amount in box 1.

mcd1231
Level 4

Box 1 is what the employer paid and Box 5 is what my client paid.  My thinking is why should my client get a $1,266 tuition and fees credit when she only paid $585.

0 Cheers
The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

Box 1 is what your client paid, Box 5 is scholarship, grants, employer paid money which reduces the amount in box 1. The result is what the ED credit is calculated on. Always enter the 1098-T info first and the Student worksheet will take care of the rest..

George4Tacks
Level 15
When in doubt, DO THE RIGHT THING.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
mcd1231
Level 4

no, just the opposite.  Box 1 is what the employer paid $1,851 and Box 5 is what the employee (my client) paid

0 Cheers
The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

Actually, Box 1 is simply the total received by the college. 

mcd1231
Level 4

right paid by my client's employer

0 Cheers
The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

If the Employer paid the entire amount, then Box 5 and Box 1 should be equal and the 1098-T is incorrect.

Do you have a copy of the Student Account from the college which shows the detail of charges and payments. Did your client receive any other grant or scholarship money, like Pell etc.

mcd1231
Level 4

She did not receive any other grant or scholarship money.

0 Cheers
The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

OK, but the amount in Box 5 should never be what the student has paid, how are you determining this $$ in box 5 was paid by the client?

mcd1231
Level 4

Client told me box 5 is what she paid $585

0 Cheers
The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

And the IRS says Box 5 is Scholarships & Grants.

Clients are very often mistaken in their beliefs of what and how something was paid. Does the client have proof of payment or the Student Account statement from the college?

If the client's documentation confirms what they are telling you, then the 1098-T is wrong and must be corrected.

sjrcpa
Level 15

1098-Ts are frequently wrong. I doubt taxpayer can get a corrected one, especially now.

Ex-AllStar
mcd1231
Level 4

Thank you for your help and insight.

0 Cheers