Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proseries Basic vs Professional

swongtax
Level 4

I am trying to download my Proseries software. I know I bought license to the Basic version, but it says I purchased both, and both can be downloaded successfully, although I have license to Basic only.

What would happen if I use Professional to prepare tax returns?

Maybe I will not be able to E-file the return?

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

13 Comments 13
TAXOH
Level 11
I think you would pay per return filed using professional.
IRonMaN
Level 15

@TAXOH wrote:
I think you would pay per return filed using professional.

I think the hot one's thinking is correct.

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You'll want to use Basic for 1040 returns, since thats what youve paid for already.

If you want to file a business (1065, 1120, 1120S, 1041, etc) return you MUST use Professional and you would pay for those on a Pay Per Return basis.  Yes, they can be Efiled.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Michelle111673
Level 2

I only need to use 1 business form (1120) corporation tax return for a client, can I purchase this as a one time without having to download the proessional.  I've been using proseries basic for over 15years and I only need the corporation business tax return for one client. 

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Basic doesn't have business returns so you will need to download professional

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You will need to install Professional (thats free) and have to Pay Per return for that 1120, I think its somewhere around $100 for fed and state combined.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
TiredFarmer
Level 7

Other than business returns any thoughts on basic v/s professional?  Thinking of downsizing but not sure I would want to change.

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Personally, I like the navigation in Basic better.  The one think I don't like about the navigation in Basic is when a client has a lot of depreciable assets.  The way Basic is set up it can be cluttered and a bit difficult to find the thing you are looking for.  Other than that, I like the navigation in Basic better than Professional.

Basic has few less options for non-tax-return things (selecting different printers for different things, client letters, etc.)

In Basic the 'find form' and 'where do I enter' are the same, as is all of the actual data-input and worksheets.

But Basic does not have NOLs, MFS splitting or worksheet, lump-sum Social Security, At-Risk limits and probably a few other things that I rarely, if ever, need.  But if you need those, you can use Professional on a PPR basis.

On the other hand, how much money will you have if you switch? Is it worth trying to figure out the different navigation, and dealing with a few less options and maybe a few less forms?

IRonMaN
Level 15

"but not sure I would want to change"

I thought you would be too tired to change.  I agree with Bill.  Check how much the dollar savings really are.  If they are significant it might be worth the change.  If not, slip in an extra buck or two on each client's bill to cover the difference in cost 😁

Slava Ukraini!
TiredFarmer
Level 7

Thanks I really appreciate you all  and wondering if I maybe was too tired to change. 😄

IRonMaN
Level 15

Always remember, you are never too tired to change ..................................... hold on a second, I forgot who I was talking to😀

Slava Ukraini!
3h2k2nna
Level 1

ow do I update the 2021 software?

0 Cheers
3h2k2nna
Level 1

I want to increase my pay per return balance to print a tax return

0 Cheers