Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook compatiblity

MKO
Level 2

So let me make sure I understand the email compatibility issue.  They stopped Windows 7 support and required an upgrade.  For most of us this involved Windows 10 professional.  Proseries 2019 program requires a 64 bit operating system, however the Outlook 64 bit is not compatible, yet it is by default installed with the upgrade.  Is there no planned correction for this issue?  

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Does marking this little box change anything?

64email.png

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

34 Comments 34
George4Tacks
Level 15
Another user posted something about updating to Office 2019 as a cure. Consider Thunderbird https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
MKO
Level 2

I've already upgraded to Office 2019 but it installed Outlook 64bit.  Just don't understand why the program's operating system requires 64bit but the email only recognizes 32bit.  Had I known this ahead of time, I could have installed it as 32bit, so now it seems my only recourse is to uninstall the 64bit and reinstall as 32bit on all affected workstations.  Just seems misguided and not well thought out.  Thought Intuit Proseries may have a fix coming so i wouldn't have to resort to that.

0 Cheers
clr600
Level 8

How do I get mine to work with thunderbird It still give me the error.

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

Here is an article for Lacerte https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/help-articles/help/error-when-attempting-to-email-a-client-f...

I think it can be applied to PS and hopefully solve your problem. If all else fails, call support and PLEASE come back to share what you learned.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
clr600
Level 8

Tried everything nothing works. Thanks anyway.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Does marking this little box change anything?

64email.png

MKO
Level 2

Just Lisa Now,

Thank you so much, this solved the issue.  You are my new hero, didn't realize this option existed, as I'm sure most others do not know, also. 

Thank you again, best luck on a prosperous tax season.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Woohoo!  Glad to help!  😉

jeffrey
Level 5

2019 ProSeries, I tried to email a cleint checklist,

Nothing works, Not solved. I tried it with checking the 64bit box and unchecking the 64bit box.

I use Office 365. I certianly hope ProSeries can fix this?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@jeffrey wrote:

2019 ProSeries, I tried to email a cleint checklist,

Nothing works, Not solved. I tried it with checking the 64bit box and unchecking the 64bit box.

I use Office 365. I certianly hope ProSeries can fix this?

I thought I saw someone else mention that if the mail program was open prior to trying to send the mail from within the program, that it worked for them...Im not sure where I saw that though....maybe youve already tried this, but if not, couldnt hurt.

0 Cheers
jeffrey
Level 5

Thank you for your reply and suggestion.

I tried it, with Outlook 365 desktop version open, and I tried to send client checklist both with the "64-bit email client" checked and unchecked.

It keeps saying "email error"

I have had the same problem email tax returns or anything from ProSeries it started about 4 months ago with the 2018 version, and 2019 ProSeries is the same.

0 Cheers
jeffrey
Level 5

Why is it marked solution, when it is not. 

Not sure this community thing is working.

Still cannot email anything from ProSeries regardless if the 64bit box is checked or not.

Who said it was solved? It isn't on my machines.

0 Cheers
jeffrey
Level 5

Not Solved

0 Cheers
jcampbellcpa
Level 2

I have the same issue, and keep coming back hoping for a solution!?!  Keep me in the loop, if this gets resolved.

0 Cheers
ehunter
Level 3

There is an option to install either the 32 bit or 64 bit version of Office 365.  Microsoft changed the default version to 64 bit last year because the majority of people are using 64 bit operating systems.  MS Office installations, and associated products such as MS Project or MS Visio need to be either 32 bit or 64 bit.  The two versions cannot be mixed on the same device.  I have no idea why Intuit would not match the default Microsoft platform to make thing easier for non-computer people...

0 Cheers
jeffrey
Level 5

Thanks for the input. But nothing works. Intuit told me that because we use Office 365 Desktop ProSeries is not developed to work with this. 

It is sad, that a company as large as this, cannot develop email capabilities to work with all versions of Office.

0 Cheers
ehunter
Level 3

We have Office 365 (64 bit) and use Outlook.  This works with ProSeries 2019 in our environment.  What version of Office 365 do you have?  I have some experience with Right Networks and they usually look for E3 version of MS Office?

0 Cheers
jcampbellcpa
Level 2

After two and a half hours on the phone with ProSeries (save my thoughts on this for another time!)

I was told it is an Outlook issue, not ProSeries.  I use Outlook desktop version.  The error message is 'General MAPI failure 2'

0 Cheers
ehunter
Level 3

99% of the time that specific error, (unless it is a programming issue) is due to either multiple versions of Outlook being installed (did you leave 2013 installed when you upgraded to 2016?) or Outlook not being the default mail client in Windows.

If you have multiple Outlook profiles so you can switch between them, Outlook will not appear as the default client which will create the error described.

0 Cheers
jcampbellcpa
Level 2

So, I had to upgrade my computer, and upgraded MS Office at the same time.  You know, that whole make life better by no longer supporting Windows 7🤔

I only have one Outlook, but have two accounts.  This has not been a problem in years past, again making life better!  How do I resolve this issue, since I need both accounts in Outlook?

0 Cheers
ehunter
Level 3

It isn't the number of accounts but the number of profiles...  Multiple accounts can be incorporated into the same profile.  Yesterday I configured a laptop that is attached to our domain network and concurrently has several drive mappings to a Windows 10 desktop with SSD drives we have set up[ for secure remote access through a VPN.  The laptop is using ProSeries 2014 through 2019 in a network configuration.  The laptop is using MS Office 365 Business Premium through our registered domain name.  We have no issues emailing directly from ProSeries, or printing, or printing to PDF (but we have a full Adobe Acrobat Pro implementation.

We did not need to check the 64 bit box for the email client and I suspect, (but can not prove), that because it is a network installation and the actual client files are located on the Windows 10 computer that is acting as a peer to peer server, the issue with the 64 bit client does not exist.  We did not even check the 64 bit client on this particular laptop and it just works with no errors.

There are a great many variables in each technical environment from hardware, operating systems, horizontal and vertical software packages, security settings and configuration of routers, managed switches, and ISP internet device specifics.   It isn't the "name on the box" but the detail level configuration of each device and each software package that usually determines how efficiently all features work.

Sometimes just cleaning cache files and installing updates that Microsoft determines to be "optional" helps.  Sometimes changing a graphics drive helps.  Sometimes a permission needs to be changed within Outlook?  We utilize exchange email accounts (we have not used pop email in more than a decade).

jeffrey
Level 5

Thank you for such a detailed reply. Certainly more information than Tech Support at Intuit has been able to supply. I believe my problems started with going to MS Office 365 Business. The best I was told that with the desktop version, I am out of luck and there is no solution. It looks like you do have a solution. I also use Exchange with my own domain. Several email accounts under this. I have two profiles, one is my domain, and the other is a client's email, as this account is for my use. The problem started before I added the second account.

Maybe the profile is the problem. I have been trying to fix this for quite some time, finally posted here, and this is the best response yet. However Tax season is in full swing in my office, and either I will have to hire an expert, or wait until after tax season. 

0 Cheers
jcampbellcpa
Level 2

Absolutely, great thanks for explaining in such detail!

I did not have this issue with my old computer and Windows 7, says an old person who apparently does not adapt well to change 😛

I am sure it is my profile too, and again being buried in tax returns will deal with after tax season.

0 Cheers
thomaslapple
Level 1

I can't seem to find the screen to be able to check the 64-bit box.  Lisa, can you kindly provide me where to find that screen?

-Mike

0 Cheers
jeffrey
Level 5

Why is it marked solved, when clearly it is not, not only with me but others have chimed in. Doesn't ProSeries care about us to keep current with problems, when they are not solved?

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"Why is it marked solved"

Because that is what the Original person asking, gets to note for their own reasons. If you did not originate a topic, you don't control if that is Solved or not.

You can thank MicroSoft for dropping support of Windows 7 in Jan 2020. You can thank Microsoft for everything about Outlook, too.

"Doesn't ProSeries care about us to keep current with problems, when they are not solved?"

This is a Peer User Community. This is not Tech Support or Customer Support.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
jeffrey
Level 5

I understand your frustration with Microsoft, however, they can't support an operating system forever, computers have to be upgraded. 

As for Microsoft being at fault for Office, well, that is another subject. I use it extensively, and for the most part like it. There are some issues, but it is software isn't it. 

I am finding, more and more Intuit software doesn't work when it has to integrate with anyone else's software, such as the problem with Docusign today, the Intuit Link debacle the first year it came out, and why this year, repeatadley, everytime I have Pro Series open, and I try to open QuickBooks, when I enter my QB password (desktop) it crasshes ProSeries. 

So be as frustrated as you want, Intuit has a hand in not working well with others.

qbteachmt
Level 15

"I understand your frustration with Microsoft,"

I wasn't the one complaining about ProSeries 🙂 I'm fine with MS; I sold my soul to Bill Gates years ago.

0 Cheers
mdarosa
Level 1

Why does not this box show up on My Proseries 2020 software?  How is it possible you have a version of tools that I do not have.

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

@mdarosa 

Who are you talking to? 

This is NOT Intuit support; we are fellow users of the software offered by Intuit.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
MDAROSA1
Level 3

Is this not Proseries support? I am trying to email my client checklist from Proseries 2020 software.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

@MDAROSA1 No this is not support. This is a peer user forum.

Ex-AllStar
qbteachmt
Level 15

Orlando mentions an update, in this topic:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proseries-tax-discussions/discussion/e-mail-address-ability-...

Notice the word "employee" for him.

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

This is NOT Intuit support; we are fellow users of the software offered by Intuit.

Guess I wasn't clear ? /S

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers