Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I contributing to 401(k) solo and SEP for same employee Shareholder of S corporation?

ABCD149
Level 2

I have an S Corporation with gross payroll of 50K for me as, an only shareholder and employee I have deducted 18,500 salary deferral for 401(k) solo. The employee contribution to 401k would be 12,500 at 25%. My question is, in additions to this can I contribute $12,500 (25% of wages  to SEP in the same year and deduct on my 1120S?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

No. Your maximum annual addition to all retirement plans is 25% of salary.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
sjrcpa
Level 15

No. Your maximum annual addition to all retirement plans is 25% of salary.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
ABCD149
Level 2
This is from https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/how-much-salary-can-you-defer-if-youre-eligible-for-more-than-o...

Deferrals limited by compensation
Although plans may set lower deferral limits, the most you can contribute to a plan under tax law rules is the lesser of:

the allowed amount for that plan type for the year, or
100% of your eligible compensation defined by plan terms (includible compensation for 403(b) and 457(b) plans).

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15
401(k) $18,500 is the deferral. Employer contribution to 401(k) and SEP contribution are not deferrals.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
ABCD149
Level 2
Ok Thanks
0 Cheers