Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New york non resident return

lmlcpaservices
Level 1

I have a client who has New York state withholdings on his W-2.  This is not New York source income, he does not live in the state, does not maintain an office in the state.  I need to allocate zero income to New York, but when I do that ProSeries is giving me this error - on the New York state return - "Alloc Wks" line 1 - Wages, salaries, etc - column a from federal return $64,500 column b nothing, column c auto filled from column a/federal return, $64,500, column d - i type in zero and the cell goes red and says "allocation worksheet for PY/NR: Wages, salaries, etc Col D New York wages were reported on federal Form W-2 but no wage income has been allocated to New York.  This will cause the efiled return to be rejected by New York state. Any help?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

Before we conclude it is not NY-source income, could you confirm whether your client was telecommuting for a NY employer and working in his home state not for the convenience of his NY employer?

If not, did your client work with his employer to issue a W-2C?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
itonewbie
Level 15

Before we conclude it is not NY-source income, could you confirm whether your client was telecommuting for a NY employer and working in his home state not for the convenience of his NY employer?

If not, did your client work with his employer to issue a W-2C?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13
Yeah, lots of possibilities.  Telecommuting.  Vesting of stock options granted while working in NY.  Various bonus plans based on performance while working in NY.  Etc.

Are we having fun yet?
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
True.  I didn't account for accrued income as I presumed those basic points would have been considered but never hurt to check.
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

New York has some pretty crazy rules on this.  I'd first find out why the employer thinks this is NY source income.

0 Cheers