Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a form to file to petition for a tax refund if the ex spouse won't share the refund owed to the other. The wife's lawyer said this is a tax preparer's issue?

chiodoinc
Level 4

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

The attorney would file the papers with the courts to have the spouse that kept the money held in contempt if the agreement was to split it.

You filed the return, whatever happens with that refund afterwards is none of your concern.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
sjrcpa
Level 15

The wife's lawyer is wrong. If the property settlement agreement says it is to be shared, ex is in violation. That's a legal issue.

It could have been direct deposited 1/2 to each of 2 accounts.

If it was a check, it required both signatures to cash. Did ex forge a signature? That's a legal issue, too.

Ex-AllStar
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

The attorney would file the papers with the courts to have the spouse that kept the money held in contempt if the agreement was to split it.

You filed the return, whatever happens with that refund afterwards is none of your concern.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
chiodoinc
Level 4

Thank you.  

0 Cheers
chiodoinc
Level 4

Thank you.  It sounded like the lawyer was passing it off but then I thought maybe I am missing something.  I appreciate the response.

Be well. 

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

You're welcome.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers