Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A new client came in for tax review and noticed on his rental property (Duplex) which he lives in one, had no depreciation.

1stoptaxservice
Level 3

no mortgage or property taxes on it. I asked year he purchased property 2011 which he happened to bring all his taxes and noticed that no depreciation was ever taken and the last preparer applied all of the mortgage to the Schedule A long form. I suggested to add the depreciation this year, however question is what to do with all the prior years? Suggestions and tips welcome.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
abctax55
Level 15

1) Extension

2) Amend where possible

3) Form 3115

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
16 Comments 16
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Is it being rented at less than FMV maybe?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
1stoptaxservice
Level 3
It appears yes the rent is fairly low in comparison, they have not raised the rent.
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

1) Extension

2) Amend where possible

3) Form 3115

( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
However, DON'T include the depreciation on the amended forms.  Just amend to correct any interest deductions.  Only use Form 3115 on the current year return for the depreciation.

But as Lisa pointed out, if the rental is truly at less than Fair Rental Value (such as for family or friends), it may have been reported semi-correctly.  But if it is just low because the taxpayer doesn't increase rent and the renter is not a friend or family, it still might be considered a for-profit rental on Schedule E.
1stoptaxservice
Level 3
They are renting as non family/friend. If I don't amend to include the depreciation, does that mean we lose on the prior years, or we just extend the depreciation years starting now going fwd 27.5 years?
0 Cheers
1stoptaxservice
Level 3
Thank you all in advance for the comments.
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
:+1:
I still say extension...it's too late in the season to figure out this can of worms..  JMHO.
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
Form 3115 can be used to 'catch up' on all prior depreciation, and it will be on the current year's tax return.

I agree, file an extension.
1stoptaxservice
Level 3
Awesome info, like always great full to have you all here, Will do the check list 1-3.
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
YVW...we are all in this madness together...
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
With 3115 and the amended returns, I'd want to establish the market rent and rationalize any material difference, just to make sure the story is air-tight that this is a for-profit venture.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
abctax55
Level 15
ah HA....does a 481 adjustment impact QBI ??? .   Inquiring minds want to know....
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
§1.199A-3(b)(1)(iii) says it is taken into account, unfortunately.  You gain some, you lose some, I guess.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
abctax55
Level 15
Tell me you AT LEAST had to look that up :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
I did look that up to be sure and there's no way I can remember the exact citation.  Wish my brain is THAT good. :smile::smile:
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
robinweaver
Level 3

I'm also needing to claim the 'catch up'.  I'm including a 3115 but how do I add that extra catch up depreciation?  I can't figure out how to get it on the depreciation sheet.

0 Cheers