Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unsure of the year NOL Carry forward occurred, previous accountant has passed away.

donielle
Level 1

The previous accountant has passed away and I am trying to complete the tax return.  There is a worksheet stating NOL has been carried forward from 2010 and I have a total amount.  I also have the last 3 years of tax returns which is over half of the NOL.  Any ideas how to account for the other NOL years? 

There is someone who can access the ProSeries tax software but they are not sure where to find the information in the program. 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

The software can give you the total amount of the NOL, but it will not tell you what years the NOLs originated from.

To see the total amount, first open the client file.  Then click the green "Where Do I Enter?" button in the upper left hand section of the screen (see first picture).

In the box that comes up, type "fed" (for "federal") and click the "Federal Carryover Worksheet" (the top choice, see second picture).

On the worksheet that comes up, scroll about 1/2 down to Lines 14a and 14b (see third picture).  That will show the total NOL to be carried forward.  Actually, you may want to have them print the entire "Federal Carryover Worksheet" for you.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
ProSeries has a Carryover worksheet, if you can get the NOL entered in there at some point where you know the amount, it should carry forward to the years after that point.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
donielle
Level 1
I don't use ProSeries, the previous accountant did, do you know how to access the worksheet showing the history?  
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
It may not have printed out with the return copy....if you have the actual tax file you should find a Carryover worksheet.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
donielle
Level 1
I don’t have the tax file, I’m trying to give a non tax person help in locating the worksheet in the Proseries file. She isn’t sure where to locate the worksheet in the system.
0 Cheers
Marc-TaxMan
Level 8
in the program:  Hit F6 and then co - it will take you right there.  In any year.  but it does not specify from which year it arose
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

The software can give you the total amount of the NOL, but it will not tell you what years the NOLs originated from.

To see the total amount, first open the client file.  Then click the green "Where Do I Enter?" button in the upper left hand section of the screen (see first picture).

In the box that comes up, type "fed" (for "federal") and click the "Federal Carryover Worksheet" (the top choice, see second picture).

On the worksheet that comes up, scroll about 1/2 down to Lines 14a and 14b (see third picture).  That will show the total NOL to be carried forward.  Actually, you may want to have them print the entire "Federal Carryover Worksheet" for you.

0 Cheers