Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to limit 179 deduction from s corp K1

Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Have a client with S Corp K1.  Has 179 line 11, but he does not materially  participate in the S Corp, and I can't seem to disallow the deduction with out overriding. Can someone point me in the right direction. I would think that if I did not check box referencing materially participate on the K1 the program would not deduct it, but it does.

Thanks

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

You learn something new everyday 😀

You would think that is something the program would handle correctly.  Sounds like you might have to just ignore the section 179 entry on the K-1 worksheet.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7
IRonMaN
Level 15

I think you already found the right direction - the program is handling it correctly.

Slava Ukraini!
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

The program is deducting the 179 from clients income, and I believe section 469 says if TP does not materially participate it must be carried over, and can't be used this year

sjrcpa
Level 15

I thought if they're passive they can't use 179 period.

Ex-AllStar
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

sjrcpa I agree they can't use it this year, but I think it can be carried over to next year. This is from section

469:  Except as otherwise provided in this section, any loss or credit from an activity which is disallowed under subsection (a) shall be treated as a deduction or credit allocable to such activity in the next taxable year.

Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Also assuming we all agree that the 179 should not be used, how do i accomplish that in the program

IRonMaN
Level 15

You learn something new everyday 😀

You would think that is something the program would handle correctly.  Sounds like you might have to just ignore the section 179 entry on the K-1 worksheet.

Slava Ukraini!
sjrcpa
Level 15

@Terry53029 Agreed. But if the activity is always passive...

In Lacerte, we make sure the activity is marked as passive and it will not allow the 179 deduction. I don't know ProSeries.

Ex-AllStar