Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I amend an original return in ProSeries and prepare a 1040x. I used an incorrect SSN. Not an E-file

7lastgirl
Level 1

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

4 Comments 4
dkh
Level 15

Find the 1040X Form, check the box for 2019,  near the bottom is page 2 Part I for Dependent information. Be sure to complete Part III - Explanation of changes.

Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14
7lastgirl
Level 1

Thank you.  I want to make sure I have done it correctly.  I see the 1040_x using the correct SSN. Question 1) Since the only correction need was the SSN, with the 1040-X not show the content in the body of the form?

Question 2)  When I previewed the amended return itself,  the incorrect SSN is still on the return.  Is that correct?  If not, what did I no wrong?

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

@7lastgirl  - Did you get your amended return completed?    If the only correction you need is a SSN, your 1040X will not have any $$ amounts.  I don't believe you should fill in page 2, Part I either because you didn't forget a dependent you just need to correct the SSN.   Correct the SSN in your Federal Information Worksheet,  write an explanation about incorrect number on original return, print 1040X and 1040 with the correct SSN, mail to IRS then wait and wait and wait.    Be detailed in your explanation.  I would write what SSN was on original and what SSN is correct.