Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can i make Form 8879 not show the full SSN?

Golfer2016
Level 2

This is for when I email out 8879 for them to sign.  I want it to just show the last four of the SSN.  Is that possible?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

5 Comments 5
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Doesnt look like you can, even if you choose the Client Copy and mark the box to Mask Sensitive Data, the 8879 still shows the entire SSN

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
TAXOH
Level 11

I've used a black marker.

Accountant-Man
Level 12

Masking doesn't work for the 8879.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
Golfer2016
Level 2

The problem is I use my own E-sign system.  If I block out the SSN, is it acceptable on IRS standards?  I know I don't have to send it with the tax return but I just want to know if that's allowed in case I get audited.

0 Cheers
The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

Just use the last four, if it's an option. I print the 8879, make a copy and white-out the SS, and all PINS, including my ERO PIN and send that to my out of state clients. I attach the signed one to the 8879 with the numbers and put them in the file. But I'm still old school and most of my clients sign in person.

Unless the client contacted the IRS and filed a complaint about you e-filing them contrary to their instructions, you're safe on any 8879 requests from the IRS.

If you are facing an audit, the SS on the 8879 is probably going to be the least of your concerns, in my experience.