Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excess HSA Contributions

MikeB_CPA
Level 5

In January, 2020, a client added to his 2019 HSA, but he has exceeded the 2019 HSA limit.  I cannot figure out how to remove the excess contribution amount before the return gets filed to avoid the penalty on Form 5329.  The only thing that seems to work is to exclude the excess contribution amount on line 2 of 8889.  That doesn't seem to make sense to me.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Happy-Tax
Level 5

Has the client withdrawn the excess contribution? The surplus can be withdrawn up to the due date of the return (including extensions). If the excess is withdrawn, then his return would be filed with the correct maximum contributory amount.

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
Happy-Tax
Level 5

Has the client withdrawn the excess contribution? The surplus can be withdrawn up to the due date of the return (including extensions). If the excess is withdrawn, then his return would be filed with the correct maximum contributory amount.

MikeB_CPA
Level 5

Thanks.  No, the client has not yet withdrawn the excess (because he doesn't even know yet that he over-contributed!) . Your recommendation is exactly what I was thinking, so in essence I will not include the excess amount on Form 8889 because it will be withdrawn before the due date of the return.  Thanks again.

Happy-Tax
Level 5

The client might also consider seeing if the HSA provider can just reassign the excess to his 2020 contributions rather than executing a withdrawal. Just a thought.

I don't know why my prior response was in italics or why it was duplicated. Sorry.

btks
Level 2

@Happy-Taxwhen the OP chooses an answer as having solved their question, it is automatically duplicated.