Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emailing Password Protected PDFs

SebCal
Level 1

New to ProSeries for the 2019 filing season.

I am operating on a Windows 10 64-Bit system.  I have been trying to email password protected PDFs to clients using the print function in ProSeries and have not been able to.  In researching online, I found out that the Outlook and Mail applications on a 64-Bit system will not work w this functionality.  I also found out (although am not certain) that the Thunderbird email application will apparently work even if installed on a 64-Bit system.  Although I have installed this app, I am still unsuccessful.

Does anyone have similar set up (Windows 10, 64-Bit, Thunderbird email app) and is able to use this functionality?  If so, as suggestions on setup or what may be my issue?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

9 Comments 9
JRC
Level 8

I have used the program in the past with Outlook and received an error on each one. Continue with the try again and the PDF would be saved to your hard drive. Then open your Outlook and attach the PDF to your email.

For this year I will save all PDF's as Password protected on my hard drive and email them that way instead of trying to use email through the ProSeries.

Camp1040
Level 10

I really don't think that function works very well, if at all. The following is a little cumbersome but I have been using it for some time now. 

Create a PDF of the return you want to email.

Save and print the file  as a password protected file with a virtual printer ( I use bullzip)*

Attache the file to your email program.

Inform the recipient of the password.

* Or any conversion program that will password protect and attach to email.

Creating  a shortcut folder of the Proseries PDF files on your desktop, speeds the process along.

JRC
Level 8

New for this year: you can Password protect PDF files for returns from within the Program. Go to Printer and File Setup and check the box for PDF Files "Password protect PDF files for returns.

Camp1040
Level 10

It just never seems to work correctly with Chrome, for me anyway.

I use PS Basic, so I'm sure that changes how PDF's work.

IRonMaN
Level 15

If you click "tools" > "options" > "general" do you have the box checked for "use 64 bit email client"?

As a side note, I don't have enough faith in Intuit to blindly send e-mails for me.  I create a pdf and send my own.  I'm a little leery of Intuit sending my e-mail to the Mumbai dancing girls 💃💃💃

Slava Ukraini!
Camp1040
Level 10

I do have it checked,  still no email PDF option, but I'm satisfied with my system, so I won't tinker with email from within.

Why a pending end to the all stars? I haven't read anything in FAQ's about the greatest brain trust in the proseries community going away.

Commentary: unfortunately it seems the new forum is flooded with tax 101 or below questions. 

I have been helped so much by researching past all star greats  questions and answers, but this new system makes it very difficult to research, in my opinion.

IRonMaN
Level 15

Camp - here is yesterday's discussion on the demise of the AllStars.  And you are correct about trying to do searches in this place - it kinda sucks.

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proseries-discussions/discussion/re-w-2-for-a-dependent-chil...

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
Camp1040
Level 10

I have no words for now, just flabbergasted ( thank goodness for spell check).

Making "champions" out of all stars; no good deed goes unpunished.

IRonMaN
Level 15

Intuit always knows what is best for its customers 🤣

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers