Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DEEMED ELECTION TO AMORTIZE/DEDUCT START-UP EXPENSES

mvp2885
Level 5

Can you please tell me proper steps in proseries to expense the $5,000 of start up expenses and amortize the rest on a 1065? This is what I am doing in proseries according to their instructions. I Press "F6" then search IRC then press Ok, then it takes me to a page where I can elect section 195. From there it takes me to the "deemed election to amortize/deduct start up expenses." This worksheets seems to do nothing since nothing transfer over to the 1065. Seems more like for record keeping. So I followed other instructions and entered the $5,000 on page 1 line 20 "other expenses" Then proseries says that any amount over $5k I do an asset entry worksheet, to generate a 4562. Under the cost/other basis on 4562 I am assuming I put the full cost of the asset? In this case $30,000. I already expensed $5,000 so I'm wondering if I should put $25,000? Thanks, just trying to make sure I enter everything correct in the program. 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

just put the difference on the asset entry worksheet

View solution in original post

1 Comment 1
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

just put the difference on the asset entry worksheet