Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client ask why 1040es amount is not equal to tax liablity for those AGI is more than $150000 the amount due was $4219 but proseries calculated as $1579 x four

cw-kwtbs
Level 1

this client never made 1040es payments but this yr Trumps tax changes they owe $4219 instead of $5000 refund from prior year

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

I generally replace any PS estimated calculations with my own. Use it as a guide and insert some common sense. 

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

I generally replace any PS estimated calculations with my own. Use it as a guide and insert some common sense. 

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

Was the total tax $20,970?

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

110 % rule?

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13
That's my guess.  I had one pop up today.  No 2018 ES and enough W-2 w/h to get a $1,300 refund.  The 110% rule still had them paying ES for 2019.  Fortunately it's just one box to check to turn it off.
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
I usually leave those on the "letter", but explain the issue to my client.  IF they chose to roll the dice & not pay, then owe next year; well, my tush is covered 🙂
"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

These are not what you would compare: "the amount due was $4219 but proseries calculated as $1579 x four"

The Amount Due is a balance; you need to look at Tax Total. Estimates would be computed against what you Estimate, or you see the program using one of the Safe Harbor computations against prior year tax Owed. Not Balance Due.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers