Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proseries calculating EIC in California for a 72 year old.

cindybissevon
Level 3

I want to know if I answer the questions 'no' (and the $31 does not appear on the refund) will the client receive a letter from California?  She received a W2 for some substitute teaching after retirement. $31 involved.  Should I tell ProSeries the program is creating a mistake?   

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

CA doesn't have the age requirements like the federal, they may very well qualify for EIC in California.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

CA doesn't have the age requirements like the federal, they may very well qualify for EIC in California.

cindybissevon
Level 3
From FTB.CA.gov website: Jan 23, 2019 - If no taxpayer is the child's parent, the taxpayer with the highest AGI. Your principal residence must be in California for more than half the tax year. If you do not have a qualifying child, you (or your spouse if you file a joint return) must be between 25 and 65 years old at the end of the tax year.
0 Cheers
cindybissevon
Level 3
Also, from another website (scroll down, shows age up to 64) https://ca.db101.org/ca/programs/work_benefits/eitc/program2.htm
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13
The requirements are different for different tax years:

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/individuals/faq/net/900.shtml
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
^^^  what he said

2018 is different than 2017 rules.

plrraz
Level 3

So, I am having the same issue for 2019 - a 69 year old is getting a CA EIC, when the California EIC website says that its limited to those under the age of 65. I cannot find anything that references a change to the age limitation. Can someone point me to a source saying that the age limitation went away?

Thanks!

0 Cheers
plrraz
Level 3

Nevermind - the STATE EIC website showing the age limitation is referencing the federal EIC.

0 Cheers