Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DMS no longer opens PDF files 2017 and older

Eharrold
Level 1

We are an OLD INTUIT user.

This is scary! About 15 years ago we were running out of floor space for file cabinets so, in an attempt to go "paperless" (at least partially)  we began using DMS to save T/Rs, and back-up material (about 1,000 docs/year).

NOW I can see the docs but can no longer open anything prior to 2018!!! (about the time I switched to WINDOWS_10)

Could ADOBE be the problem? I used various current versions of ADOBE up to 2019, then I switched from ADOBE ACROBAT 11 to ADOBE ACROBAT DC. Is DMS using a proprietary version of PDF?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

3 Comments 3
George4Tacks
Level 15

Have you tried > Right click the file and select "Launch outside DMS" 

If you still have Acrobat 11, that is probably your safest approach.

DMS is a "funky" version of acrobat.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
Eharrold
Level 1

Open outside of DMS fails with <= 2017.

If I can get to the DMS SOURCE file, the "open with" works (in some instances).

Adobe 11 is not Windows 10 compliant but should be OK for limited use. I don't think I can have two working Adobe programs but I plan to check with Adobe Monday. (I sometimes catch myself wishing I was back in Windows 7, or even XP, or even the original DOS version.)

Thank you for responding.

Ed

Kathi_at_Intuit
Employee
Employee

Thank you for stopping by the community to post a question. This community is for Intuit Practice Management users. This question would be better asked here:

Lacerte Community

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/lacerte-tax-discussions/discussion/02/201

For DMS, I would try and and drag one of the files outside the DMS program to your desktop and see if it opens there. If it does, sometimes if the PDF driver is damaged, we see this issue. I would run the PDF repair tool to see if this helps:

Lacerte Tool Hub: Helping you fix common problems and errors in Lacerte

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/help-articles/help/fix-common-problems-and-errors-with-the-l...

If this does not work, please post this question in the Lacerte Community. Thank you @George4Tacks for replying!