Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where and how do I request an extension for State return for Rhode Island? How do I request state return extension for any state?

ajain
Level 3

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IntuitJim
Employee
Employee

Good question! Not all states require an extension to be filed. 

Rhode Island

Does the state provide for an automatic six-month extension of time to file? Yes. If there is not tax due on the return, the filing of a Rhode Island Form R-4868 is not required. Otherwise, if there are taxes owed on a Rhode Island return, a Form R-4868 must be filed by the April filing deadline for the Form RI-1040 or RI-1040NR.  An extension of time to file is not an extension of time to pay.

More state guidance here https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/state-tax-forms/help/1040-state-extension-frequently-asked-q... 

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
IntuitJim
Employee
Employee

Good question! Not all states require an extension to be filed. 

Rhode Island

Does the state provide for an automatic six-month extension of time to file? Yes. If there is not tax due on the return, the filing of a Rhode Island Form R-4868 is not required. Otherwise, if there are taxes owed on a Rhode Island return, a Form R-4868 must be filed by the April filing deadline for the Form RI-1040 or RI-1040NR.  An extension of time to file is not an extension of time to pay.

More state guidance here https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/state-tax-forms/help/1040-state-extension-frequently-asked-q... 

IntuitJim
Employee
Employee
0 Cheers
ajain
Level 3

Is Proconnect equipped to file an extension for state returns electronically? For Rhode island I will have to file on paper but it would be nice if the software would allow me to either fill the form within the software or give the option to e file for states that allow e filing for state return extension. 

0 Cheers