Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do I report in Form 4797 abandonment of leasehold improvements by lessee (taxpayer) when business closed .

ataloma
Level 2
Leasehold improvements has cost of $19,000 and accumulated depreciation of  $11,000. Also where do I put the accumulated depreciation in Form 4797? Balance should be ordinary loss, right? Thanks for your reply.
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George4Tacks
Level 15

Income > Dispositions > Schedule D... > Enter purch date, sale date, sale price, original cost

c1.JPG

In small faint print across the top white section, select Sale of Asset 4797,...

Enter the depreciation and code section of prop and no 1099B

c2.JPG

This will all end up on 4797

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
BobKamman
Level 15

Form 4797 Instructions:  Deduct the loss from a qualifying abandonment of business or investment property on line 10. 

George4Tacks
Level 15

Income > Dispositions > Schedule D... > Enter purch date, sale date, sale price, original cost

c1.JPG

In small faint print across the top white section, select Sale of Asset 4797,...

Enter the depreciation and code section of prop and no 1099B

c2.JPG

This will all end up on 4797

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
ataloma
Level 2

Thanks for your reply! The info was reported on Form 4797, line 2, Part I, and the loss is carried over to Line 11. I think that's right. The loss did not show on Line 10.

ataloma
Level 2

Thanks a lot! Very detailed.

0 Cheers
ataloma
Level 2

When business closed various equipment were either abandoned in the store or not working and were fully depreciated. Do I need to report in Form 4797 with $30,000 costs, $30,000 accumulated depreciation and zero gain/loss? Can I just group the assets in one amount instead of listing 5 assets?

When business closed should I show ending inventory as zero and inventory kept by owner should reduce purchases. How about if there were no more purchases because the business decided to close, can I have a negative purchases shown in the tax return?

Thanks.

0 Cheers