Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why wrong capital amount?

SunnySpring
Level 3

In the ProConnect Tax Online, in the Partnership Return, each partner's capital account balance should be the same amount as the end-year capital account balance of the previous year's ending balance, but, while the total capital account of the beginning balance matches to the last year's capital balance, each partner's capital balance as of the beginning balance shown in each partner's K-1 was wrongly calculated by the Program, showing a completely different amount.  The per-partner's capital percentages are correct and yet, it looks as if the program automatically allocate that total amount based on the ENDING percentage of the CURRENT year, so that the beginning capital amount of each partner completely differs from the last year's capital balance for each partner.

The accurate amounts are entered in the basis worksheets, but none of these entries are not reflected in the capital account calculation.  And there is no place where I could enter the accurate capital balance for both beginning and ending balances for each partner to reflect the accurate Beginning Capital amount for each partner.

The critical problem is that the program automatically calculate each partner's BEGINNING capital amount based on the current year's ENDING percentage.

How to fix this critical problem, when there is place to manually enter each partner's beginning capital amount?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George4Tacks
Level 15

The program does not compute beginning partner beginning capital account balance. Last year it would have computed an ending balance and possibly it brought forward an incorrect amount. Go into each partner account and enter the correct beginning balance. 

Across the top are Profile, Input Return Special Allocations ....  Select Special Allocations and you can enter the beginning balance for each partner. That is also where you would make specific allocations of various items of income and expense PER PARTNER, being very careful that they properly total out to the amount computed by the program.  

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
17 Comments 17
George4Tacks
Level 15

The program does not compute beginning partner beginning capital account balance. Last year it would have computed an ending balance and possibly it brought forward an incorrect amount. Go into each partner account and enter the correct beginning balance. 

Across the top are Profile, Input Return Special Allocations ....  Select Special Allocations and you can enter the beginning balance for each partner. That is also where you would make specific allocations of various items of income and expense PER PARTNER, being very careful that they properly total out to the amount computed by the program.  

0 Cheers
SunnySpring
Level 3
Thank you for your comment, but it doesn't help at all.  There is no place to enter each partner's beginning capital balance.  Only per-partner's entry place is the basis worksheet.  And even though I entered the accurate beginning balance and ending balance including withdrawal in the basis worksheet (because of per-partner entry), none of the amounts entered there is not reflected in the K-1 Capital Account.
There is no place where you can enter each partner's beginning capital balance, which was supposed to be needed if the last year's return was rolled over or converted to 2018 return properly.  
The "total" of partner's beginning capital is accurate, but not accurate in each partner's beginning capital balance.  And all the percentages are supposed to be carried from the last year's return, but the program automatically calculate the beginning capital balance of each partner based on the ENDING percentage of the current year.

Even if the Special Allocations can be used, they are applied to the ENDING capital balance, not the beginning balance.

P/L percentages are 50/50, so it is ok, no problem, but, the capital account of each partner has to be different and has to be coming from the last year's ending balance, which was not done in this program.  And there is no place to overwrite each partner's capital account.

I really think that this program is only for individuals, not for pass-through entities, because the program can't do per-partner's capital calculations.
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
Each program has its pros and cons. With Lacerte being the engine, it is much more versatile than being suitable only for individual returns.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
SunnySpring
Level 3
If you are not helping and giving me the answer, please write this comment somewhere else.  I am seriously in trouble, not knowing how to fix this problem as this problem is not users' issue but the program's problem.  
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
We're all busy trying to help everyone.  You are the one who made a comment about the limitation of PTO, so it wouldn't be off limit for me to voice my personal opinion given my experience with the program.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

Think this is what you'd like to do.  There is a $1 difference in allocation for non-deductible expenses because you rounded down the allocation but PTO did not.  If you're looking for a different set of output, what exactly should the results be?

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
@hhommo6360 Did this solve your problem?
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
SunnySpring
Level 3
Thank you for the help.  Actually your "images" and those from George4Tacs are the exactly right "answer" to this problem, i.e. "use the special allocation tab" to manually allocate" beginning capital between partners, even withdrawals and distributions that are not based on the percentage.  
Still I would think that this solution is only for the users, who should take time to do this in order to get the accurate amounts.  I still think that the program provides the right boxes in the Input Screen, not Special Allocation, and that the program should NOT calculate this way, beginning capital amount per partner based on the Ending Percentage of this year, which makes everything wrong and which does not make sense at all.  
Nonetheless, I thank you all for the helps.  Thank you very much.
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
Glad what we showed you get the results you had wanted although the input may not be in the way you would have preferred.
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

It sounds like you may need to contact support. Here are two images to help

1. Enter a beginning capital amount (I used $11,000) I have two partners that get a 30/70 split.
  2. Click the Special Allocations (starred in the 1st image) and enter beginning capital for the partners so that it totals $11,000 (from step 1) in any allocation you want. In my case I would have gotten 3,300 for one partner and 7,700 for the other, but I have entered a different total

0 Cheers
SunnySpring
Level 3
Thank you for the help.  Actually using Special Allocation screen was right "answer" to this problem.
Still I would think that this solution is only for the users, who should take time to do this in order to get the accurate amounts.  I still think that the program provides the right boxes in the Input Screen, not Special Allocation, and that the program should NOT calculate this way, beginning capital amount per partner based on the Ending Percentage of this year, which makes everything wrong and which does not make sense at all.  
Nonetheless, I thank you all for the helps.  Thank you very much.
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

"The "total" of partner's beginning capital is accurate, but not accurate in each partner's beginning capital balance.  And all the percentages are supposed to be carried from the last year's return, but the program automatically calculate the beginning capital balance of each partner based on the ENDING percentage of the current year."

Since the total of partners' beginning capital is correct and only the allocation is incorrect, perhaps you could try the following under Partner Information > Partner Percentages > BEGINNING (XX.XXXXXX)

• OWNERSHIP OF CAPITAL: Enter the correct allocation for each parnter (e.g. Partner A = 20%, Partner B = 10%, Partner C = 70%)

This should get the correct amounts of capital flowing to the respective K-1's for Beginning capital account.

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
SunnySpring
Level 3
Thank you for the suggestion, but I did that exactly, i.e. entering a Partner Percentage to the screen Partner Percentages, which could get the correct beginning capital balance (but which was not the correct percentage of that partner's beginning percentage).  But this attempt did not work, because the program calculates the beginning capital balance by using the current year's ENDING percentage.  No matter whatever and however I tried and attempted, the K-1's Beginning Capital was calculated by the program's using Ending Percentage.

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
Could you provide some numbers we could work with, just in case we stumble upon something (although it sounds like you already exhausted all possibilities)?
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
SunnySpring
Level 3
Thank you, anything could be helpful, since Intuit developers do not address this issue.
This is 2-partners partnership LLC.   
Last year's Capital: Partner A: 13279, Partner B: 35,066 (Total capital 48,345)
                               Capital %:  A 50      B 50  (at the end of 2017)
Beginning Percentage: 50   50
Partner A does the most of business work.  Partner B does administrative work.  Partner A withdrew lots of money from account during 2018.
To protect A's basis, A changed the percentage of PL (Profit 50 to 90, loss unchanged, Capital 50 to 90)
CY Profit shares:   Partner A (90%) 39,884           Partner B (10%) 4,432
(Non-deductible expense adjustment): Partner A 189,  Partner B 22
Ending percentage of 2018: Partner A: 90%     Partner B: 10%
Partner A withdrawal: 30,847            Partner B withdrawal: 1,929

In the Basis worksheet, all of these numbers are entered.  But the serious problem of ProConnect Tax online program is that it CHANGED the beginning capital amount of each partner, and calculated the beginning capital that shouldn't be changed, by using the ENDING percentage of 90% and 10%.

And there is no place where you could overwrite or manually enter each partner's Beginning Capital Amount (other than percentages, but the beginning percentages are not used, and program uses ENDING percentages only).

What do you think?  Am I missing something, or would you know something that fixes this problem?

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15
I think you are missing something and need to use "Live Chat" to have support EMPLOYEES look at your data and help you get it right.

Honestly, I don't think it is PTO, but rather your input that has created some problem. The program (although not flawless), does work. It is a difficult program to master.

0 Cheers
SunnySpring
Level 3
I already did CHAT, but they said that's developer's work.  I "sent" the return (draft) to the representative of CHAT, and he understood my problem but he couldn't know how it happens and how to address this issue.  He promised to notify the developers of this problem, but he couldn't say if they are actually working on this issue or not.  Can't you see this a problem of PTO?  Why does the program calculate, when it shouldn't calculate, the beginning capital balance of each partner, by using the ENDING percentage?  It doesn't make sense.  
And didn't you notice that many others posted similar questions, although the area of the questions are different, but all of the questions' bottom line is the same.  The program changes and calculates capital accounts when it shouldn't, and therefore, some of elements in the capital accounts are wrongly changed.
0 Cheers