Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1040x shows standard deduction instead of Itemized

Queen-Naomi
Level 1

I'm Amending 2016 tax return. I filled out the Column A original amount. 

When I review the 1040X on the original amount for line 2 itemized deductions or standard deduction shows 21,501 which is the original itemized deduction showed on the original return, however, column C (corrected amount) shows 12,600 which is the standard deduction and in column B the net change of 8,901. How do I change this to show the correct itemized deduction in column C line 2?

How do I correct this? please help, thank you!

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

Just created a quick dummy return to test it out and it is working fine on mine.

Do the corrected 1040 and Sch A show $12,600 also?  If so, did you follow the those, from which the numbers under column C flow, to check why that may be the case?  How do these differ from what you would expect, technically?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
8 Comments 8
sjrcpa
Level 15
Could there be a valid reason for the standard deduction being used on the amended return? Such as investment interest or charitable contribution limits being lower?
Or did you "force" the standard deduction by accident?

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
Queen-Naomi
Level 1
no investment interest or charitable contribution on Sc A. Mortgage interest and property tax is what is in sc A. No i didn't force/override standard deduction.
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

Just created a quick dummy return to test it out and it is working fine on mine.

Do the corrected 1040 and Sch A show $12,600 also?  If so, did you follow the those, from which the numbers under column C flow, to check why that may be the case?  How do these differ from what you would expect, technically?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
Queen-Naomi
Level 1
The correct column C shows a net amount which is incorrect. The correct amount column C should show the original amount adding the new change. For example line 1 should show the original AGI 45k plus the amount of AGI that is added to correct income which was 20k together total AGI is 65K. However column C shows 20k. I called the customer service and i was told to use override. The concern I have with override is I need to manually put all the amounts and calculate the taxes manually, this doesn't feel right. I wish someone here help me who amended a return using ProConnectTaxOnline or anyone who knows how intuit software works, and tell me what i'm doing wrong.
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Print out the new corrected 1040 and follow the money.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
Queen-Naomi
Level 1
Thank you all guys for your response! I figured I need to use the override.
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
Override should only be used as a last resort.  You should really follow the money as we suggested and pinpoint the exact issue that needs to be fixed.  The fact that it is working on mine is evident that something on your return is not quite right (or that the underlying data in your return may have been corrupted).
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

If you view the current Schedule A, what total do you see?

If you view the input for Schedule A, do you see any entries in the first few input areas such as (1=must itemize ....)

If you view the 1040X input area, do you see ANY entries in the Corrected Amount (Override) column?   

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers