Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Safe harbor Section 199A signature

99mtamchamp
Level 2

I am currently working through a partnership return and am getting a critical diagnostic stating I need to attach a signed document to the return.  This is the diagnostic...The safe harbor election was claimed for this rental real estate enterprise. Pursuant to IRS Notice 2019-07, a signed statement PDF must be attached to the return stating that all qualifications for the safe harbor have been met.  I know that was required for 2018 returns but my understanding is that requirement is not in place for 2019.  Has anyone else seen this change for 2019 returns?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

9 Comments 9
itonewbie
Level 15

You're right.  PTO is referring to Notice 2019-07 that was made obsolete by Rev. Proc. 2019-38 for TY2019.  Under the final rules, signature is no longer required on the statement.

@IntuitAustin Could you please look into this and give us an update?  Thanks!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
99mtamchamp
Level 2

I agree..thanks for forwarding this to PTO

itonewbie
Level 15

NP, @99mtamchamp! Have a great weekend ahead.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
IntuitAustin
Intuit Alumni

Thanks for calling this out @itonewbie . I'm making our tax development team aware of this so they can update the forms accordingly. In the mean time, you can check the ignore box on the diagnostic and proceed to file. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Accept as solution"
itonewbie
Level 15

Thanks, @IntuitAustin!

Would you have an ETA for that?  If it'll take a while, it'd be best if Intuit could put up a notification so that other users are aware.

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
IntuitAustin
Intuit Alumni

Hello all,

This issue will be fixed in a future release towards the end of this month

Austin

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Accept as solution"
0 Cheers
99mtamchamp
Level 2

It looks like they took the signature requirement off, but doesn't the election statement still need to be attached to the return?  I was getting a diagnostic yesterday and now its not there.

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

The statement is there.  You need to trigger its production.  See this thread for more details.

The equivalent input screen for PTO is Income > Rental and Royalty Income (Sch E) > Qual. Bus. Inc. Deduction

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/lacerte-discussions/discussion/re-form-1040-how-to-claim-qbi...

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
Jonesin1
Level 4

Why is signature on Safe Harbor stmt in red? I know it is not required this year, but client insists. Was attached as PDF

TIA

0 Cheers