Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rental property basis

Consolidator
Level 1

How do I adjust the basis of a rental property?

A client began renting his personal condo in 2015. At the time, I used the lower of his cost and the FMV of the property as the basis for depreciation. In his case it was his cost. The problem is that by mistake I have been depreciating the whole amount (I didn't subtract the value of the land).

Thank you!

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

3 Comments 3
George4Tacks
Level 15
Add another asset with a code 99 for Land, which is not depreciated but will be on the depreciation schedule.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

Your client has adopted an impermissible method of accounting.  To change that, you'll need to file a F.3115 and a §481(a) adjustment will need to be made.  With the correction made, you'll then add an asset for land as George suggested and adjust what you have for the building.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
BobKamman
Level 15

Is this a $100K condo, or is it worth $1M?  Is the client in a 15% bracket, or 35%?  Has there even been any tax benefit from the excess depreciation, or is he at zero tax anyway, or with a carryover loss because of higher income?

If you question is "What is required to follow the letter of the law?" see @itonewbie .  If your question is "what will happen if I just start doing it the right way now?" the answer could be "not much."

“If the law supposes that," said Mr. Bumble, squeezing his hat emphatically in both hands, "the law is a ass — a idiot. If that's the eye of the law . . . the worst I wish the law is, that his eye may be opened by experience — by experience.”  --From Oliver Twist, by Dickens