Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a Schedule C can be submitted for an insurance agent who maintains a separate office space, even though s/he received a W-2?

david21
Level 1

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George4Tacks
Level 15
Have taxpayer get a corrected W-2 as a statutory employee.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns

View solution in original post

9 Comments 9
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Is this a Statutory Employee? (the W2 will be marked as such if so)

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
sjrcpa
Level 15

Without income there is no office in home deduction so you are not going to get around it.

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proconnect-tax-online-discussions/discussion/how-do-i-deduct... 

Also if they are not a statutory employee they are in the trade or business of being an employee and not self employed so no Sch C.

Ex-AllStar
david21
Level 1

That is what I am trying to figure out. Being an insurance agent, s/he could be a statuatory employee, but the W-2 is not marked as a statuatory employee. Yet, s/he has to maintain a separate office and has office expenses. So, it seems like s/he should be able to file as a business and deduct those expenses somehow.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

When s/he has to maintain on office and incurs expenses because the employer requires it, the employer is supposed to reimburse for those costs under An Accountable Plan, or pay the person enough that they know they are absorbing these costs. There is no "could be a statutory employee" because there either Is or Is not, marked as such on the W2.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
George4Tacks
Level 15
Have taxpayer get a corrected W-2 as a statutory employee.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
abctax55
Level 15

"....Being an insurance agent, s/he could be a "

Do you really not know whether your client is male or female?

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

The only way such individuals can be considered statutory employees is if they fit this definition:

A full-time life insurance sales agent whose principal business activity is selling life insurance or annuity contracts, or both, primarily for one life insurance company.

So there's not enough information here, because we don't know whether the taxpayer primarily sells life insurance or annuity contracts, and whether it is primarily for one company. 

Otherwise, Congress in late 2017 in its wisdom passed a law eliminating "office in home" deductions for employees, and the President in his wisdom signed it. 

david21
Level 1

Yes, I know the gender of my client, but I owe that client privacy and should do my best to not provide any possible identifiers. Also, the client's gender is not germane to the answer, and the answer may be used by other preparers. Hence, the use of gender neutrality.

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Not even Perry Mason could determine the identity of your client based on the limited info in your posts.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"