Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I take depreciation over time rather than expense all this year?

Highlighted

Labels (1)
0 Cheers
17 Replies 17
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15

That's kind of the idea behind depreciation....spread the amount over time.

Maybe you need to add some additional details for your situation?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 12

My mind reading class says:  Elect OUT of Bonus depreciation.

Highlighted
Level 1

Yes, you have that option when it applies to office equipment, furniture, fixtures, etc and any other asset having a depreciable life of 5 or 7 years; however, real estate having a useful life of either 27.5 or 39 years must be depreciated over time. Usually, a tax preparer would want to depreciate over an economic useful life if the business activities are cyclical, and would rather reflect that on their books. By the way, whether you know or not, you can depreciate your assets over time on your financial records, and expense your assets for tax purposes. The difference in depreciation becomes an M1 adjustment on your corporate books. Yes, you can depreciate using two different methods. One for the books, and one for tax purposes.

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15

Usually, a tax preparer would want to depreciate over an economic useful life if the business activities are cyclical, and would rather reflect that on their books.

Don't you mean taxPAYER ??  What you are describing is a "matching" principle that applies for accounting reasons. 

Former Chump... umm.... AllStar.
If a post answers your question, click on *Accept as solution* for future searches
Highlighted
Level 1

Dont insult me. Screw you.

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 1

You're an ass    hole.  Find  you, and   kill your dog.

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15

Are you seriously threatening people? There is no place for that here, your rude and harassing posts have been reported.

Highlighted
Level 15

Thank you Claude for reminding me why time away from this place isn't all bad.  This place tends to have its share of jerks and general dipwads, it just sounds like you are the new king of that group.  You must live one miserable live to be that nasty to someone you have never met.

After a bazillion posts, I'm tired.
Highlighted
Level 15

@claudetcb   Sorry, but I can't let this go that easily.  I tried being nice, but I can't be that nice to a lowlife like you.  Don't you ever, ever threaten a friend of mine like that ------------ especially stooping that low to threaten to harm a dog.  Intuit better ban you for life for making terroristic threats like that.  Actually, you should be banned from the human race.  

After a bazillion posts, I'm tired.
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15

Ive done everything I have the ability to do for this....its a 3 day weekend though, Im not sure anyone is around that can deal with this on a more permanent level.

He hassled me on a few posts the other day and I let it go, he's new, maybe he doesnt have the best forum manners, but this is inexcusable.

Highlighted
Level 1

Shove it up your fat ass.

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 11
Level 11

@claudetcb I find it cute that you are so hard behind your keyboard. Do you have that same toughness one on one? 

Also, it takes a special kind of man to threaten ladies. Are you that man? 

What kind of person kills dogs? I have a number for a therapist. You should consult one. 

Highlighted
Level 15

I'm an a** because I pointed out something in your answer?

Your level of insecurity is interesting.

Your attacks have been reported, so I expect we've seen the last of you.

Have a good life.

Just in case you think of deleting your posts:

claudetcb
Level 1

You're an ass    hole.  Find  you, and   kill your dog.

0 Cheers

claudetcb
Level 1

Dont insult me. Screw you.

If a post answers your question, click on *Accept as solution* for future searches
Highlighted
Level 14

Unbelievable. I reported it, too.

ex-AllStar
Highlighted
Level 15

Good thing I found out my rescue dog is actually part Pit Bull, as is my husband when his precious pooch is threatened.  

I "think" we will be OK..   🤣

Highlighted
Level 11

Me, too. I reported a different topic, because I didn't realize this person is being crude and threatening all over the place, until I found this one here, as well.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
Highlighted
Level 1

Screw you **bleep**

0 Cheers