Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug in K-1 Partnership Info entry, Line 20 Sec. 199A (20Z - 20AB) - 10/4/19 If you enter numbers using commas, PTO fails to recognize them as numbers (no error msg).

Derrick
Level 3

For example:  If you enter 9,999 in field 20Z and lets say 400,000 in 20AB, PTO fails to see these as numbers, no QBI income is registered, and no error message or diagnostic is generated, which some preparers might assume is due to some limiting factor in the the complex web of limitations on 199A.  However, it's just a software failure, if you remove the commas like 9999 in 20Z and 400000 in 20AB, the correct QBI deduction flows through (unless of course it really is limited by a legitimate 199A restriction).  Fortunately this is not an issue for K-1s you import from PTO that your firm prepared as they come stripped of commas.  But if you enter a K-1 you didn't prepare, and your not really clear on the rules, you might not catch that a deductible 199A deduction is being blocked by a software problem.

PTO allows you to enter commas in numbers everywhere else I'm aware of, I don't know why this section has this problem.

Note:  I use Google Chrome (77.0.3865.90)

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George4Tacks
Level 15

Welcome to PTO. No commas, and also know that if you really want a zero, you get to use -1. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
1 Comment 1
George4Tacks
Level 15

Welcome to PTO. No commas, and also know that if you really want a zero, you get to use -1. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers