The IRS announced on Jan. 15, 2021 that the official federal e-file start date for tax year 2020 will be Feb. 12, 2021. In order to allow our tax professionals to serve their clients without workflow disruption, ProConnect will allow returns to be submitted electronically starting on Thursday, Jan. 28, 2021.
All 2020 returns submitted from Jan. 28, 2021 through Feb. 11, 2021 will be securely stored and forwarded to the IRS on the e-file start day of Feb 12, 2021. Stored returns will have a status of Received by Intuit on the E-file Dashboard until they are forwarded to the IRS.
- Returns submitted during this period cannot be canceled, so please ensure that all returns are complete and ready to e-file before submitting. ProConnect will not be able to retrieve returns once they are submitted.
- In most states, you may choose to e-file the federal return ahead of the state return. However, for Arkansas, Alabama, Arizona, Kansas, and Oklahoma, you must e-file the federal return at the same time as the state return.
- California returns may be filed electronically to the state ahead of the IRS e-file start date.
- E-filing for tax years 2018 and 2019 will not resume until the IRS e-file start date of Feb. 12, 2021.
- What happens with EITC returns impacted by the PATH Act? Will they be further delayed?
- Starting in the first week of March, the IRS anticipates that tax refunds will begin to reach taxpayers who claim EITC and ACTC (PATH Act returns), file electronically with direct deposit, and do not have issues with their tax returns.
- When will my clients be able to check on the status of their refunds?
- Feb. 22 is the projected date for the IRS.gov Where’s My Refund tool to be updated for those claiming EITC and ACTC, also referred to as PATH Act returns.
For business e-file dates see E-file start and stop dates for federal returns.
See the IRS IR-2021-16 news release for more details.
How do I e-file the California return ahead of the IRS start date?
- Open the tax return to the Profile tab.
- In the SELECT FOR E-FILE column check only the California box.
- E-File the return.
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Accept as solution"