Scheduled to begin in August 2020, the ability to e-file your Individual form 1040X will soon be available. With this change, there will be a number of specific conditions to be met in order to file electronically.
Please review the following FAQs provided in preparation:
- Once Individual e-file is available, will I be able to e-file prior year as well?
Individual Form 1040X Amended e-file will only be available for 2019 returns, all prior years will need to be paper-filed.
- Will I be able to e-file the Amended 2019 returns indefinitely?
Individual Amended 2019 returns can be e-filed through the November cutoff date.
- Can all Individual Amended filing types be e-filed?
Only an e-filed Form 1040 or 1040-SR can be amended (Excluded: 1040NR, 1040NR-EZ)
- Will the ability to add direct deposit of refund be included with the return?
Direct debit in order to pay an amount due will be available, while direct deposit of refund will not be available. Refunds will be mailed in the form of a check.
- Will I be able to e-file an Amended return in order to report a change in filing status?
Returns that are amended due to a filing status change, must be paper-filed. The filing status of the Amended return, must match the filing status of the originally filed return. These returns must be paper-filed.
- What if I need to make a change to the Taxpayer's (or Spouse's) TIN/SSN?
The Taxpayer's (and Spouse's) TIN/SSN must match that of the original filing when e-filing. These returns must be paper-filed.
- The dependent was claimed on another filers' return, I'm Amending to show that they should have been claimed on this return. Can this Amended return be e-filed?
These returns must be paper-filed. Dependent claimed on someone else's return cannot be claimed on an e-filed Amended return.
- I need to Amended an already Amended return, can this be e-filed?
You may submit up to 3 amended returns for the same form. (software limitations may apply)