Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You're not helping with entering scholarships and grants! If the scholarship exceeds the box 1 tuition it becomes a negative number! That's not accepted by your software

martin1
Level 1

You're not helping with entering scholarships and grants! If the scholarship exceeds the box 1 tuition it becomes a negative number! That's not accepted by your software

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George4Tacks
Level 15

https://accountants-community.intuit.com/articles/1607224-reporting-taxable-scholarships-and-fellows...

Solution #1- To report Taxable scholarships and fellowships on Form 1040, Line 7:

1. Go to the screen, SS Benefits, Alimony, Miscellaneous Inc.
  2. Scroll down to the Alimony and Other Income section.
  3. Enter the taxable portion in Taxable scholarships and fellowships. (The program includes this amount on the Wages line of Form 1040 and also includes a footnote for the item with the description "SCH."

Sorry I didn't help when you first asked. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
George4Tacks
Level 15

https://accountants-community.intuit.com/articles/1607224-reporting-taxable-scholarships-and-fellows...

Solution #1- To report Taxable scholarships and fellowships on Form 1040, Line 7:

1. Go to the screen, SS Benefits, Alimony, Miscellaneous Inc.
  2. Scroll down to the Alimony and Other Income section.
  3. Enter the taxable portion in Taxable scholarships and fellowships. (The program includes this amount on the Wages line of Form 1040 and also includes a footnote for the item with the description "SCH."

Sorry I didn't help when you first asked. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
That article is outdated, as it goes on Line 1 of Form 1040 now.
0 Cheers
martin1
Level 1
Thanks for your help guys. Prepping returns at 2AM in the morn and running into this glitch got the better of me. I apologize for my hasty comments posted.... Also, remember that the excess scholarship over the tuition expense is taxable to the student (not the parent if claimed by the parent) should the student be required to file. So, that income showing as "SCH" applies to the student's return. Sometimes the student's and the taxpayer's return are one in the same; sometimes, NOT necessarily.
0 Cheers