Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can S Corp's suspended c/y losses in any way offset cap gain of sale of fully depreciated asset (charter boat)? I'm guessing only a cap loss can offset this.

Pablo
Level 3

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

You didn't mention why the loss was suspended, whether it's due to limitation for basis, at-risk, or PAL.  My presumption is that it's due to PAL.

Your focus seems to be on offsetting cap gain, which is governed by Subchapter P.  PAL, on the other hand, is governed by §469 under Subchapter E.  The characters of the income are different, so you can't offset one against the other.

If the charter boat was used in an activity that was a passive activity in the taxable year, however, the gain from the disposition is considered passive activity gross income.  This income would then flow through to F.8582 to determine the PAL allowable.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
itonewbie
Level 15

You didn't mention why the loss was suspended, whether it's due to limitation for basis, at-risk, or PAL.  My presumption is that it's due to PAL.

Your focus seems to be on offsetting cap gain, which is governed by Subchapter P.  PAL, on the other hand, is governed by §469 under Subchapter E.  The characters of the income are different, so you can't offset one against the other.

If the charter boat was used in an activity that was a passive activity in the taxable year, however, the gain from the disposition is considered passive activity gross income.  This income would then flow through to F.8582 to determine the PAL allowable.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
Pablo
Level 3
Thank you very much for clarification. A CFO acquaintance insisted on the opposite which went against my way of thinking. The suspended loss was due to limitation for basis. This S Corp is non-passive to sole member.
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
Agree with you.  That's a no go for sure.  Cheers!
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
Pablo
Level 3
Thank you. Much appreciated
0 Cheers