Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am getting critical diagnostic Ref 51763. The client should NOT be treated as unmarried and should only be excluding child care benefits. How do I clear? Thank you!

readmanntax
Level 1

My client is MFS and lives with his spouse.  He receives $5,000 in child care benefits from his employer and I would like to exclude $2,500 of these benefits from income.  I am getting the following critical diagnostic:

"Dependent care credit is not allowed for MFS taxpayer who is not considered unmarried for purposes of the dependent care credit. If the taxpayer should be treated as unmarried for purposes of the credit (see Form 2441 instructions), enter a "1" in "Married filing separate and treated as unmarried" .

I am not trying to claim the credit, only trying to exclude $2,500 in benefits from income.  How do I clear this critical diagnostic to allow for e-signature and e-filing?  Thank you!
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

You can check off the diagnostic as it's not the credit your client is claiming.

So long as you have all the correct entries made, the exclusion should flow on the return.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
1 Comment 1
itonewbie
Level 15

You can check off the diagnostic as it's not the credit your client is claiming.

So long as you have all the correct entries made, the exclusion should flow on the return.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers