Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is a California return adding a carryback to AGI?

stateraservices
Level 2
I'm filing an extension to my client's 2018 1040 with a carryback loss from 2019. Seems to be fine on the federal side. However, on the California side (location of the client business), the carryback loss is ADDED to the AGI as opposed to reducing it. I know that California is presently not allowing 2019 carrybacks, but why would a carryback be adding to the client's gross income?
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

5 Comments 5
George4Tacks
Level 15

It is a negative for the NOL for federal, but CA does not allow the NOL, so it is adding it back in. For 2019 CA suspended NOL carryback.  You should see not change in CA tax. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
stateraservices
Level 2

I know the 2019 NOL isn't allowed by CA. However, actually it does create a change on the CA tax side. Increases it substantially. I'm puzzled why it's being "added back in"; I mean - from where I sit there should be no change at all. What am I missing?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I had this happen with a CA return before....try Deleting the CA return and let it regenerate.  Oh wait, youre using PTO, I have no clue how it works, I was using ProSeries when I had the issue.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
George4Tacks
Level 15
Did you create the 2018 from scratch or are you adding an "extension?"
What did you add that was new?

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
stateraservices
Level 2

Doing an "extension". I'll recreate it from scratch and see what happens.

0 Cheers