Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where on the 2020 program do I enter Federal tax withheld from Social Security? I getting critical error.

mpatasky
Level 2

Labels (1)
0 Cheers
17 Replies 17
IRonMaN
Level 15

I don't do the online version, but I would guess it would be in the same generally area that you entered the Social Security benefits received.

ACME Taxes, Tatoos, Tires and Turtles (I've expanded my line of products to better serve you)
mpatasky
Level 2

It was simple like that in years past, but now the program is instructing me to enter on 1099NEC.

I go there and it is really for contractual employees not social Security benefits.

I tried to fool it and enter SS as the payee, but it wants the Federal ID. Huh?

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

@itonewbie  can maybe give you some help with that, but in any case I'm pretty confident that it doesn't go on a 1099NEC and you aren't going to be able to fool the software over something like that.

ACME Taxes, Tatoos, Tires and Turtles (I've expanded my line of products to better serve you)
itonewbie
Level 15

I got stumped.  Fiddled with it for a while but can't figure a way around it.

My view is that it's a deficiency in PTO; because VTW is not a default process, they didn't really build in the functionality to capture it or to provide an alternative means to report it.

Will need to defer to Austin for further guidance.

@IntuitAustinCould you please provide some guidance on this as I don't see any way around it and there's no article about this for either Lacerte or PTO?  Thanks!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
sjrcpa
Level 15

For Lacerte, you enter it in the same screen where you enter the SS (14.1), but then you get an efile diagnostic saying you have to move it to "Form 1099-MISC/NEC for efile returns".

So it is messed up. 

ex-AllStar
itonewbie
Level 15

@sjrcpa wrote:

For Lacerte, you enter it in the same screen where you enter the SS (14.1), but then you get an efile diagnostic saying you have to move it to "Form 1099-MISC/NEC for efile returns".

So it is messed up. 

Yeah, that's the problem because the line items won't match up with SSA-1099 and it'd be looking for an EIN that doesn't exist.

Entering those details in SSA-1042S may seem like a better option but you end up with a different set of problem.  Not only would the system insist that you enter an EIN, it would also require you, as the IRS expects, to upload a declaration as well as a copy of the green card to legitimize the refund claim on the basis taxes were erroneously withheld even though these are not applicable to recipients with VTW.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
AlmaEA
Level 1

I figured it out. Put gross SSA and Medicare in old location. Federal withholding is entered on the page regarding 1099Misc/NEC.  Only enter withholding. Do not input name and address. The first time I entered it as normal and got the red flag that something was missing. Was instructed to enter withholding under the new area. So I did, including name and address. Still got a red mark telling me not to duplicate entering the withholding. Deleted the duplicate entry and still got a red mark.  Put in all zero's as ITIN and red mark went away. That is fine for input, but do not think will fly for e-file. So I removed the name address and fake ITIN and guess what. No red marks even though only entered the withholding.

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

I'm not confident about the fidelity of that method because it could trigger a mismatch against the 1099-MISC/NEC the IRS never received for that withholding, which does not even match the line numbers on SSA-1099 and SSA-1042S.

I would rather wait for an official response from @IntuitAustin and @IntuitBettyJo.

Still an AllStar
IntuitBettyJo
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, 

Our development team is taking a look at the section and I will get you an update as soon as I hear back.  Thanks for your patience. 

-Betty Jo 

0 Cheers
IntuitBettyJo
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, 

Just following up on this.  Our engineers are currently working on the issue and I will let you know more information about when it will be released as soon as I have it. 

Cheers! 

-Betty Jo 

0 Cheers
mpatasky
Level 2

Anything further on the 1099 nec issue

0 Cheers
PhoebeRoberts
Level 9
Level 9

This has been fixed in Lacerte:

Voluntary federal income tax withheld (SSA-1099/ RRB-1099)

Social Security Benefits Screen 14; Code 38

Enter any federal income tax withheld from an SSA-1099 or RRB-1099 in this field.

NOTE: Do not use the “Federal income tax withheld [A]” field (codes 14 and 64) in this screen to enter SSA-1099 or RRB-1099 withholding any longer.

mpatasky
Level 2

I'm using the online Proconnect version

IntuitBettyJo
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @mpatasky 

This update also took place in ProConnect Tax Online, so you shouldn't have any difficulties with the diagnostic or input fields. 

-Betty Jo  

mpatasky
Level 2

I does !!

Thanks for your help

AlmaEA
Level 1

Figured out where SSA fed withholding goes. But it is meaningless to refer to code numbers when data input does not list the code numbers.

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

@AlmaEA wrote:

Figured out where SSA fed withholding goes. But it is meaningless to refer to code numbers when data input does not list the code numbers.

On the same screen and section you enter SS Benefits, you'll find a line for "Voluntary federal income tax withheld (SSA-1099, box 6 / RRB-1099, box 10)".  The VTW you enter here will flow to F.1040 and no longer trigger a critical diagnostic.

Still an AllStar