Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is a reasonable rate to charge for preparing individual tax returns?

Highlighted

Labels (1)
0 Cheers
4 Replies 4
Highlighted
Level 15

I charge $ 250/hour.  Then I adjust depending on how fast I am (or, how slow), how organized (or disorganized) the client is, and on the complexity of the return.

YMMV - depending on what part of the country you are in, the type of clients you have (or want to have), and the economic environment.

There will ALWAYS be preparers who charge more, or less than what you want to charge.

Former Chump... umm.... AllStar.
If a post answers your question, click on *Accept as solution* for future searches
Highlighted
Level 15

It depends on how great you really are.  What kind of experience and expertise do you have?  How much is someone willing to pay for that expertise?  But in any case a lot really will depend on the area you pitch your tent.  Fees for return preparation are going to be a lot higher for someone working in downtown LA (Los Angeles) than they would be for someone working out in the sticks in rural LA (Louisiana).  

ex-AllStar, ex-Lutefisk taste taster, ex-ACME product tester
and ex marks the spot where those rocks and anvils hit me.
Highlighted
Level 15

Agree with Anna and Jeff.  A lot of that is down to your credential, experience, specialization, and locality.

If you need comprehensive reference, consider joining NATP and NSA.  Both publish annual reports with detailed breakdown by return types, major forms, hourly rates, billing practice, locality, firm size, among other things.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
Highlighted
Level 15

"It depends".  That is the correct answer for almost every question regarding taxes.

ex-AllStar