Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is anyone familiar with the tax rules on flipping house income and any impacts with the new tax laws?

wfgfinancial-pl
Level 1

Tax rules on deduct flipping expenses and how the profit to be treated as capital gain or ordinary income?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
abctax55
Level 15

The new tax laws didn't change the treatment of "flipping" houses.

What's the specific fact pattern?

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
abctax55
Level 15

The new tax laws didn't change the treatment of "flipping" houses.

What's the specific fact pattern?

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
wfgfinancial-pl
Level 1
Thanks for the response. Is the profit from the flipping treated as capital gain or ordinary income?  How do the related flipping expenses to be treated in either of the assumption? I spent 50k this year to repair and remodeling the house. How should I deduct this expense this year or just add it to the basis of the house?
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
What did your paid tax professional tell you?  I'd follow the advice or pay to consult with someone competent if you want a second opinion.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
The reporting depends on how often you do it.  If you flip one house in ten years, you have a capital gain.  If you are in the business of flipping on a regular basis, it is ordinary income and goes on a schedule C.  The costs get added to the basis.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers