Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unemployment exclusion state returns addback?

MPGCPA444
Level 3

Has anyone figured out how to work around the new unemployment exclusion needing to be added back on the New York State returns?  NYS isn't going along with any Federal tax code changes since the pandemic started.  ProConnect automatically flows the $10,200 reduction in income into the NYS returns, but I can't figure out how to add it back to income?  I tried using the additions section, but there isn't a specific code for this.  I kinda fudged it in there to get it to show up by using a bogus code, but I'm worried about it bouncing back via e-file.

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

3 Comments 3
RLindblad
Level 1

Good question, I have the same one.  I was thinking of going to the "NY Decoupling Adjustments" and overriding the "Recomputed Federal Adjusted Gross Income" Federal amount.  It gets me the correct answer but doesn't really tell the story of adding back the Unemployment.

I can't find any guidance on this either.  Hopefully someone will see the correct way to handle this.  

Note I still get a critical error about NY adjustments related to non-taxable unemployment comp allowed under the ARPlan are currently under development.  Verify accuracy of the return and make state adjustments if necessary before filing:  

0 Cheers
MPGCPA444
Level 3

Thanks, I’m glad I’m not alone on this problem.

0 Cheers
C4U
Level 3

Same problem with Ohio - it's applying the Federal exemption.  But is taxed in Ohio.  I can't figure out how to fix.  It's like this is all a hopeless mess.

0 Cheers